Oil Pan Painting

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I’m looking to get advice of painting my 37 Hudson oil pan.  I’ve straightened the lip & deformed bolt holes back to pretty straight condition on both the oil pan and the splasher tray.   I’ve cleaned both the pan & dipper trays then finished sand blasted the pan. 

It looks like I have a crack & possible leak at the joint of the oil pick up tube on the side of the pan that I will need to re-solder before anything else. Then it’s time to prime & paint the pan.  I’m looking for a paint & primer which is durable but not POR15 type of product.  Suggestions?
Additionally, I was planning on “not” painting the lip or mating surface of the pan.  But to get some paint around to the point of the gasket I’d just lay the pan upside down to spray it.  Does this sound like a good idea?  Color?  High temp or not?  I was thinking of Silver to match the engine with new stainless steel bolts and I already have the new gaskets & O ring.  

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

Comments

• It sounds like you've got it figured out... You don't need high temp paint on the pan. I never sand blast any engine parts. A couple grains of sand in the oiling system can wipe out the bearings in short order. You did a fantastic job on the dipper tray. It looks new.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Put epoxy primer on first. Then paint.
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    I used VHT high temp silver with ceramic on my 262 and after a year it has held up very well.
  • To the best of my knowledge, the pans were always black.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I’ve heard Epoxy Primer is great stuff.  Unfortunately what I’m finding is around $25 a can (rattle can) that is, does anyone know of a good but cheap source for rattle can epoxy primer?
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    At this point, you have spent a lot of time and effort. Good 2 part epoxy primer is the best base. If you want the paint to last and make your spent time worthwhile spend the extra 5 bucks. 
    Also as a tech note, dont overdo applying the primer or paint. More is not better! You only need good coverage, not stacked or flooded on. Doing that can degrade the life of the paint.