51 Commodore 6 Brakes

Just went to work on the brakes on my new toy.

Problem is the left front drum is probably too egg shaped to turn and 1 wheel bolt hole is completely stripped out (you can slide a lug bolt into the hole).

What years used this brake drum (11" x 1.75") ?

I've tried cross checking on Rock Auto.  They list shoes for 51 and up, but not 48, 49, & 50.

I know where there are a couple of 48 - 49 parts cars within an hour or so (different directions) but I would like to know what will fit first.

Any help will be appreciated.  My family had a 50 Commodore 8, 51 Commodore 6 and 2 52 Hornets "back in the day"  and I did the brakes on all 4 of them, but that was almost 70 years ago.

Fred

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    If you need decent used front drums let me know. 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I thought those were 11x 2 1/4 on Commodores?
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    They are. All LWB 48-54 Hudsons had the 11" X  2.225"  drum. Even the Super Wasps used them.
  • Thanks Guys

You're right, they are 2.25.  Just got front & rear from Rock Auto and they have to go back.  Their parts listing is wrong.

Yes, I do need 1 front drum.  let me know how much $ etc.

You can reach me at 603 357 9209 (New Hampshire) or pfredhpitz@aol.com

Thanks again
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    You sure you don't have a Pacemaker?  They had the 11 x 1.75 shoes same as the pre-48 cars.
  • I assumed that Rock Auto knew what they were doing.  Mistake!  I should have measured first.  Mine are 2.25.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Rock Auto doesn't always know what they're doing.  I've tried to help them, but they've got a diode in both ears.
  • Fred_Pitz said:
    Thanks Guys

You're right, they are 2.25.  Just got front & rear from Rock Auto and they have to go back.  Their parts listing is wrong.

Yes, I do need 1 front drum.  let me know how much $ etc.

You can reach me at 603 357 9209 (New Hampshire) or pfredhpitz@aol.com

Thanks again
    Too bad to hear about wrong parts listing. We had the same experience from Rock Auto as well.
  • Fred_Pitz
    Fred_Pitz Member
    edited July 2019
    I went through all the boxes that were in the trunk yesterday.  Found several (1965 -1980) Clifford 6=8 Research catalogs.  In the 1976 - 77 edition they have this page.  Top line of relined brake shoes (under flash reflection) shows 11 x 1.75 front & rear for 48 - 53 Pacemaker.

I also found a "Drive Master" service manual which (Thank God) I will not need if anyone is interested.

• Per
    Per Member
    The first Pacemaker was l950.  I'm not aware of a short wheelbase model for 1948-49.