Adding Overdrive

Does anyone have information on adding an overdrive to a 1923 Hudson Super Six?
I would think you would have to change the rear end.
Robert

Comments

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

So I have no direct first hand information. But back in the day there were add on units for these old(der) cars.  I think you would be hard pressed to find one of the 20s vintage.  On a different note I know all the 1916s that competed in the Great Race had custom overdrive units.  Most were of electric activation.  However, I did talk to a guy when the race started in Riverside who had his 1917 Hudson that competed in the race in the 1980s.  He had his stock transmission modified and added a 4th gear which activated with a lever.  I tried to ask additional questions but I did not get far.  But when you looked inside there was an overdrive lever which seemed to be attached to the stock trans.  I looked under the car and there was no unit behind the trans.  So I have no idea what he did, but if you have the money you can do anything.

Sorry not much help.  He also convert to front brakes.  Remember if you go fast you have to be able to stop fast.  Something these vintage cars did not do very well.

Jay 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Your best bet would be to find a higher ratio 1928 or 1929 Hudson gearset, which would bolt right into your housing.   the 1923 models had 4.45.rear end, and the higher  option for 1928 and '29 was 4.1, which reduces engine revs by 10%..  As mentioned, if you have enough money, anything is possible, but considerable engineering is required to fit an extra overdrive unit.  
  • Val
    Val Member
    To your question of changing the rear end. In my 39 an O/D was added. I didn't change the rear end but the drive shaft was shortened. and my frame was cut slightly to make it fit. But not sure how a 23 is set up. Best to you in your endeavor  
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Agree with Geoff. I found a 4.1 ratio diff. Wire brush around the pinion flange near the oil filler and ratio should be stamped there. 
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Another possibility is to replace the gearbox with a modern 5 speed, 5th gear is typically a 15% overdrive.