1928 Brake Drum Connumdrum

Fiinally got arround to placing the respoked wheels on the car with new brake shoes. And the drums appear to be irregular ovals. They had to be round once because of the wear marks. They now drag in places when rotated. So, my guess is that the spokes on the inside of each wheel are all not coplanar, and the tightening of the draw bolts holding the drums to the hub cause the drum to warp. After all, the crums are not sturdy cast iron, but heavy stamped steel.

Now what to do. The answer can't be to turn the drums. My guess is to turn the inside spoke wall, but that's an impossible task.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    "What to do...", is for you to sit back and wait for our 1920's guru, Geoff Clark, to appear and give you an answer!
  • I just can't wait...so I'll take apart the door locks.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor

Is Fellow band round, or out of round, forcing spokes to apply un even pressure when clamped?

On brake drum, are inside diamiter dimentions different around inner circumference ?
    Is brake drum "bell mouthed"?
    If different, what are the dimentions? 

can brake shoe linings be un even in circumference? They may be interefering.

From my experience:
    The clamping motion to hold spokes must be applied uniformly.  Very similar to the  pattern when installing wheels.  

Usually a star pattern and torque increase progressively. 
    ///////////////
    If you dissemble the wheel, first mark widest and narrowest cross sections.
    this may provide some idea of the upset, forces and help indicate next steps to equalize them to bring wheel drum some what back into shape 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    How far out of round do you think it is?   It may not need anything doing, just adjust the shoes to  the tightest spot and see what happens.