Stepdown Rear Axle in Earlier Car

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone know if a Stepdown rear axle center section (Hudson built axle, pre-Dana era) will fit into a 1940 housing? I would like to put the center section from an automatic stepdown into my 1940, if that is possible, using the 1940 housing and axles. Thanks, PZ

Comments

• I'm not sure about using just the ring and pinion (someone will undoubtedly answer your question) but I do know of people who have transferred the entire axle, differential and housing assembly to their 1937 Terraplane. The StepDown rear axle assembly is narrower, I believe, so it was necessary to put spacing blocks on the wheels to bring them out to the desired width.
  • I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same, and the axle drive splines, but the later unit is of course hypooid construction, therefore the drive shaft will be at a greater angle. The drive train sat at a distinct angle in the step-downs, which overcame this, so you will have to check that the drive shaft does not contact the cross member if fitting the hypoid diff. The u-joint coupling should be the same, but you will have to check the length of the pinion in relation to the housing.
    Geoff, N.Z.
This discussion has been closed.