1928 Hudson Seat Selection

I'm 6'1" and sitting on a milk crate for a seat. That's not good enough to drive the car. What is the optimum height I should be at? I haven't found a good combination yet for pedals and view over the hood at the same time. I'm considering Stryker bomber bucket seats, but would need some adjustable base for height and distance to dash. Something comfortable and adjustable that accommodates seat belts and looks convincingly period.

What have you done in place of the original seats? I need your suggestions and experience.

Comments

• Apparently everyone is sitting comfortably on their 90+ year old Hudson horsehair covered springs seats. That means I'm in the wrong forum and should be posting in the Model A Hot Rods, right?
  • I have a 29, and I'm not as tall as you. I am sitting comfortably on my 90 year old seat... It has been reupholstered, though.
  • Thanks for your reply, but I need to know how high your seat is from the floor, measured where the back is.
  • AnnaCarin
    AnnaCarin Member
    edited March 2020
    Given that you want modern (but not overly modern-looking) seats with seat belts, IMHO the Stryker bomber bucket seats look nice. But I have nil experience or knowledge.
    Re optimum height, you'll probably have to figure it out based on the ergonomic recommendations about knee angle etc. See for instance this PDF or this webpage. I guess that is easier to do once you're experimenting with the seats rather than a milk crate, though!
    Floyd Clymer concluded in an 1951 article that "Hudson owners, by and large, are real dyed-in-the-wool boosters. Many don't want any other make of car and never even shop around. They just buy Hudsons again and again."  ... and along the same lines, today most of them don't care to shop around for other types of seats. Maybe hot rod people are a better bet for figuring out the seat base? :)
    Nothing wrong with old horsehair covered springs BTW, I do most of my off-line reading on an old settee that is built that way.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    My Essex Coach, which is the same as the Hudson for 1928 has bucket seats, which came out of a Bradford Van(!!!), and  allow me to see over the top of the steering wheel fine, with adequate leg room, and enough height of the back to fold forward to allow people  in and out of the back.   Your car is four door, so  you will just have to shop around and see what bucket seats you can find  that give you a comfortable seating position with enough leg-room.   Please don't berate people for not having answers.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited March 2020
    Find/buy an old kitchen chair with steel legs. Cut off half of the leg length, put it in the car and sit on it. Put packers under the feet and/or remove more chair leg to taste.