Hydraulic lifters

my 55, 308 has hydraulic lifters, can then be resurfaced to be used with a new performance cam?

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
     Lifters usually have a radius to help them rotate so don't resurface. If installing a performance cam use std tappets. Contact Randy or Steve Maas @ 21st Century Hudson for your needs....
  • What is the reason for going to solid lifters? Are the hydraulics prone to failure or are they not solid enough for good performance? I have the same situation - I want to do a 308 build but don't want to do it twice! (ha, ha!)
  • talk to Larry at Clifford Performance, he explained the lifter issue to me. He said that hydraulic lifters work with a stock cam, if you install a performance cam in your engine, use solid lifters. I'm using Clifford Performance for the intake, exhaust, cam lifters.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I believe the issue with hydraulic lifters, as I understand it, is they do not respond as quickly to the cam lift as they have some lag for the pump up, unlike solid lifters that are just pieces of metal.  The only reason that AMC went to hydraulics was the difficulty adjusting valves on the Hornet 6 in the Hash body. This was supposedly a one year only deal, '56.  Although I have heard of some '55s having them as well.