rich mixture with Twin H setup

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
My 1954 Hornet runs extremely rich with the current Twin H setup. Exhaust is sooty and fuel consumption is very high. Would converting to a single carb be justified? Are the carburetors the same for both setups?

Comments

• Hi Tom,
    MOst TwinH setups tend to run somewhat rich. You can readily see the difference in having two throttle plates of the WA1 carbs vs. the two throttle plates of the 2bbl WGD. They are almost double the size.
    The twinH while it is impressive, tends to get less gas mileage and is only effective at high rpms. In running both systems, I got roughly 3 more mpg with the 2 bbl. (19.7mpg vs 16.7 mpg - highway speeds - constant 55 mph)
    In regard to your system, it sounds like your chokes (one or both) might be sticking. Perhaps your carbs need rebuilt?
  • [ QUOTE ]
    My 1954 Hornet runs extremely rich with the current Twin H setup. Exhaust is sooty and fuel consumption is very high. Would converting to a single carb be justified? Are the carburetors the same for both setups?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom:

I know nothing more than what you have posted here. A properly set Twin H should not run rich. To achieve the proper operation of the carburetor system there are lots of details to attend to... On my website... Ken Cates' Stepdown Restoration Aids I have placed most if not all of the information needed to complete a proper adjustment routine for a Twin H. Aside from perfuming these adjustments ... both carbs must be properly refurbished or rebuilt. The carbs must be of the same type with the same ... correct for altitude metering rods, and the choke and accompanying heating tube properly operating.
    External factors which will cause rich operation include too high a fuel pressure, restricted airfilters, and linkage mis adjustment... If I get to suggest ... go through the tests and make sure you are a stickler for details.

Good Luck

Ken Cates cool.gif
    53HAUL.gif
  • Hi Tom,
    I missed the other part of your question. The single carb setup used is a carter WGD 2bbl. The Twin H uses carter WA1's. Should you change over to a single carb, you'll need a different intake manifold, and carb linkage, plus the various gaskets.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Two other things to watch out for. 1st. 54's use a different carb than do 51- 53 cars. I don't have the number in front of me but I belive the earlier carb is a 748 while the latter is somthing like a 2339. IN any case the earlier one is 3 digits while the later is 4. The difference is that the later carb runs a bit leaner. Also the height of the float, if too high, will richen up the mixture.
    Hope this helps a bit
This discussion has been closed.