Headlight relay

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I want to install a headlight relay in my '54 Wasp, but can't find a 6V unit, any suggestions? My HL switch keeps blowing the circuit breaker.
Thanx...

Comments

• You will have to trace the fault that is causing the circuit breaker to trip, otherwise you will only blow the fuse in any relay you fit. If the fault is a short to earth in the existing switch, it will still trip the circuit breaker. There should be 6v relays available over there somewhere surely.
    Geoff, N.Z.
  • [ QUOTE ]
    I want to install a headlight relay in my '54 Wasp, but can't find a 6V unit, any suggestions? My HL switch keeps blowing the circuit breaker.
    Thanx...

[/ QUOTE ]

Without question, I agree with Geoff. There is a short to ground in one of the hot wires or the switch. This problem is very serious ... if the circuit breaker does not work the next step is smoke and hopefully NOT fire. So find the short... broken insulation, loose connection, something that has come in contact with the >>>HOT<<< side of the switch when turned on and is shorting it to ground.

Good Luck

Ken Cates
    53HAUL.gif
  • Thanks, guys, I'll get my meter and go to work!
  • I found two on ebay. Just type in 6v duel headlight relay and watch what comes up. positive or negative does not matter. You may have to wait a week or two but they are there. I put one on my 46 truck and the other is going on my 53 hornet. Oh by the way the lights are much brighter because the current path is shorter and the light switch will last a lot longer.

Jay
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Another possible source of the problem is a faulty breaker on the headlight switch. These critters work based on heat, and if the breaker contacts get burned or otherwise are causing a voltage drop, the resulting heat will often trip the breaker even though current through the unit is at normal levels.
  • Try Dave Kostansek for 6v headlight relays. He advertises in the WTN.
This discussion has been closed.