front clip

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I would like to hear some pro's & con's about using a 2 wheel drive S-10 front clip on my '28 essex street rod. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sach

Comments

• What type of motor are you going to run in it? Fender or non fenders? Dropped axles look best for fender less, independent works better and will work best with a full fendered rod. What model of Essex do you have. Good to hear from another Essex rodder, some of the guys on this Hudson forum think they would not make good rods. I think they will make one of the best (all steel bodies etc.) and will stand out in the sea of Fords and Chevies.

Cheers,

Steve
  • Hey Steve,

My Essex is a '28 4 door. I plan on using all the fenders so it will look original. I haven't decided on an engine yet but have been considering a superchaged Buick 3800 V-6. (factory supercharger ). Otherwise, I may end up using a small block Chevy with

fuel injection.
  • the S-10 front end would be a excellent choice for a front end, they are plentiful and make one of the best driving rods that I've ever driven, you will be a little bit limited on the off-set on the front wheels that you can run and keep all the tire under the fender.
  • I'm not trying to be contentious, I'm just an old guy trying to figure out where I got lost. So, when did the front suspension or sub-frame become a "front clip"? I've heard most of my life the front sheet metal refered to as the "front clip." Sorry, I'm just confused.

mike
  • vmike wrote:
    I'm not trying to be contentious, I'm just an old guy trying to figure out where I got lost. So, when did the front suspension or sub-frame become a "front clip"? I've heard most of my life the front sheet metal refered to as the "front clip." Sorry, I'm just confused.

mike
    That's what we always called a "front clip." Must be something like "new math."

Jay :-)
  • Yes, front clip was always used for the sheet metal reference, but like "new Math", the front clip is new jargon for hub to hub front suspension.
This discussion has been closed.