Essex Vin locations?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi everyone, so after 3 years my essex is finally comming home laugh.gif. I was at Canada customs today and they tell me I need to know the VIN inorder to bring the car into the country. I was wondering if someone could tell me where I would find it to that I can let my shipper know and give it to me in order to get the ball rolling.
Thanks in advance,
Ashley

Comments

• The Essex experts can tell you exactly where, Ashley, but until then I would check for a plate on 1) the passenger side door post (windshield post) or 2) the firewall (engine side). Also, Hudson tended to stamp the serial number on the frame, in the vicinity of where the front axle passes beneath it (on the right side of the car). Also, they stamped it on the top of the rear axle housing, near the spring attachment point on the right side of the car (on the top side of the housing). Get a wire brush and a flashlight!
  • My Truck's Vin is on the passenger side door jam.
    Goodluck!
  • Most of the ones I dismantled the serial Number is on The plate on the Passenger side front door pillar. Also on the front frame horns,the front axle assy. Also found on the top of the frame at the right rear under the splash apron. If the engine hasn't been changed it should be stamped on a machined boss on the left side of the block.
    Hudsonly;Bob Dittrich NE.
  • essex6
    essex6 Expert Adviser
    I hope things go well with the importation. Up to the 1928 model year, the serial number is on a plate attached to the engine side of the firewall in the center. I don't have experience on the later models, so I don't know the location. The number is also stamped on the right rear frame horn under the splash apron as previously mentioned.

The engine serial number is different from the car serial number, with the 6 cylinder, if it is the original engine through the late 20's the engine number will be about 50,000 to 60,000 higher. I haven't seen the car number stamped on these engines. I have seen some transmissions stamped with a number also, but I have not been able to coorelate it.
  • Dear Ashley, What year is your Essex? Most cars were registered by the engine number only. Located above the water inlet, drivers side. Body numbers were located on the firewall passenger side in the engine compartment. Another location would be the rear crossmember near the spring shackle. next to the fuel tank filler. When you re-register your car, have them put the body number as the proper number. We do lose an engine from time to time and so there goes the old registered number. I hope this helps. As for the door post numbers, well maybe for stepdown cars but not for Essex... Rich Central Ca.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Ok, first off the terminology is incorrect. Although most motor vehicle departments call everything a Vin, Hudson cars never used a vin. They were actual serial numbers. A vin can identify the components and accessories originally in the car. A serial just identifies when in the series the car was produced. So although you must call it a VIN for the government, it is actually a serial number.

Now to the answer to your question; Essex serial numbers are located in a bunch of places. There is a plate screwed to the engine side of the firewall. It is also located on the rear frame rail on the passenger side. Failing that it is located on the front side of the rear end near the pumpkin bolts. It is also stamped on the front of the front axle as well as on transmission. However the motor number is not related to the serial number.

Ok, if this isn’t enough, drop me a line and maybe I can help

Lewis Mendenhall
    HET club Essex-6 tech advisor
    essexadv@adelphia.net
This discussion has been closed.