Stepdown Starters

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm wondering what some of you have done to upgrade your Stepdown starters. Namely those that have converted to 12V.

I'm thinking about adapting a modern (easily obtained replacement) starter to my '49 262 motor. It seems like if I start with a Chrysler starter that has the same drive gear size and pitch as the original, and build an adapter plate to place this in the correct position relative to the flywheel, that it should work.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks for the help, Doug

Comments

• most 6v starters will work just fine if you put 12v through them-george
  • If you are willing to spend about $40 to have the 6v starter
    converted to 12 v email me and I'll give you the specifics.

John

jgw2@bellsouth.net
  • Doug,

Last spring I converted my '50 Commodore to a 12 volt system. Initially I left the 6 volt starter in place. It worked quite well on 12 volts, cranking the engine over extremely fast. Then while installing new points one day, I had my head under the hood "bumping" the starter to get the points on top of a lobe, when I noticed how hard the starter gear was slamming into the flywheel. It sounded like someone was hitting the flywheel gear with a hammer! Far louder than the old 6-volt days. I had never noticed this "impact" sound from behind the wheel.

Anyhow, I shipped my starter off and had it converted to 12 volt operation. I picked it up and installed it during the National in Pittsburgh and it works beautifully. It turns the engine over strongly without pounding the flywheel, but at the slower RPM typical of its earlier days. I know folks who have operated a 6 volt starter on 12 volts for years with no problems, but I was no longer comfortable doing so.

You may want to take John up on his offer to send you the information on doing a 12 volt conversion on your starter. It would be a lot easier than trying to adapt a 12 volt Chrysler unit.

Bob Ridle
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    12v on a 6v starter may work for a while, but there's a track record of busted starter drives and chipped flywheel teeth. Simplest is to convert the starter to 12v. When I looked at Walt Mordenti's coupe at Pittsburgh, it appeared to have a modern, reduction geared starter. Check with Walt at [email="MMordenti@aol.com."]MMordenti@aol.com.[/email]
  • hudsonguy
    It all makes sense now. I do indeed have a problem with chipped flywheel teeth, which I didn't have before. The starter does really smack the flywheel. When I was 'bumping' the starter during a tune-up recently, it actually bent the shaft of the starter slightly. That's been fixed, but it was discovered that the stock Hudson starter shaft is made from rather soft material. It bends very easily. That's one of the reasons for looking at a modern replacement.

I know all about Walt's starter. He used a Ford unit along with a Chrysler gear drive. It required setting it up in his garage on a spare engine block with flywheel, etc. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury.

I just thought that maybe someone else had done this along the way. Is Walt the only one who's done this?

Thanks for the help, Doug
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Why not put the system back to 6-volt and repair the problem. 48-9 262 motors have no starting problems on 6-volt when in proper repair. When running 12 v through teh original standard shift starter you have already experianced... bent shafts and broken gear (both ring and drive). I have a 49 with a 262 whih is no way near as finiky as a Hornet motor. THey work nice when right
  • hudsonguy
    By reversing it back to 6 volts, I'd have to lose my electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, stereo, Halogen headlights, etc. I wouldn't be able to install A/C like I plan on doing in the near future. Plus, I'd lose the reliability and driveability of 12 volts. For instance, in today's traffic, if you get stuck in a 5 mile back-up on the freeway, your 6 volt system will eventually leave you on the side of the road with a dead battery, since the generator doesn't charge until you're going about 30mph (I think). So, I appreciate the advice, but I'd rather not lose all of those improvements (in my humble opinion, anyway) to soften my starter engagement.

I'm determined to adapt a modern starter this winter, once I've taken it off the road for the snowy season. I guess I'll just have to figure it out as I go.

Thanks, Doug
  • There was some discussion at the Pittsburg National on this subject - Someone said all that has to be done to convert a 6 volt starter to 12 volts is change the field coils. I believe it was Dave Konstansek that agreed with that assesment.
  • hudsonguy
    Does anyone know where to get the field coils? The local starter shop I took my 6v starter to, said they couldn't get them. Then someone in the HET club said that ANY Chrysler 12v starter has the coils I need. So I disassembled my '67 Belvedere starter, as well as my Hudson starter this weekend, and compared the field coils. They are indeed for the same frame diameter, however they are several inches shorter than the 6v coils, and of course, also several inches shorter than the armature length. Besides that, the brush connections are entirely different.

It appears to me that if these field coils would work, that significant wiring cobbling would have to take place. Is this what's been done in the past? Does anyone know the specifics of these field coils?

Getting back to my initial post, one of my intentions is to be able to bolt on an easily obtained replacement starter, so that when I break down in Timbuktu, I can just go to my local Napa store for a replacement.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    It's correct that you merely need to change the field coils. See John Williams' post of 8/10 for good part numbers to give your local shop. If they still strike out, refer them to Ennis Automotive, 2400 N. Preston St., Ennis, TX 75119-0772. Phone 972 878-3896. Send them the starter case with original field windings, and they'll wind new 12v ones. Ennis also did 12v. field coils for my convertible's hydraulic pump motor ... got it and the starter done for $90.
  • hudsonguy
    Park,

Thanks for the help.

Doug
This discussion has been closed.