Dropped the 340 into the Essex today!

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Did a test fit of my in-terim motor for my essex project. I am going to take my time (read need to find cash!) on the hemi engine and have decided to drop my fully built 340 small block into the car so I am able to drive it this summer and every winter do more mods on it. The engine is balanced, flat top pistons, cammed, stainless valves etc. 300 horse and I can't believe how good it fit in the frame. Just need to modify the motor and tranny mounts and shes in. As soon as that is done I am goint to pull her back apart and paint and detail everything. I have old school finned valve covers, air cleaner etc and I think the engine will be black with red details to match the car. It is going to be black with silver and red accents, red smoothie wheels, white walls and fill fenders and running boards. Just rambling, getting excited that I finally am making some progress.

Cheers,

Steve

Comments

• Very cool Steve! A friend of mine many moons ago put a 340 in his 1933 1/4 ton pickup (because a 440 wouldn't allow the hood sides to go on) and it was a nice ride. I got to drive it to the Reno Nationals in 1980 (my 38 Dodge wasn't running then) and had a blast. Had one of the shortest drivelines I had ever seen!

Good luck with the progress!

Jay
  • Looks like she's coming right along!
  • Looks like its going to be a really sweet ride, just as a question all of the components are just falling into place on this new frame, if so, wow thats the way to go... Good luck
  • Not letting any moss grow under your feet, are you Steve ? Looks like you're making good progress. Wish I could say the same. Still podering front and rear suspension options for my '28 project. Have looked at several scrap yard pieces and am totaly discourged with what I've found. May go back to the idea of an aftermarket IFS and a Chevy S-10 rear.
  • sach, I was considering a chevy s10 rear for my 49 but am wondering about the wheels. I don't think hudson wheels will fit on a gm rear end. cheers...Jim
  • You could have the axles and drums redrilled for the Hudson bolt pattern for just a few bucks.
This discussion has been closed.