Fuel cells

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I was wondering what the rest of you guys doing your stepdown street rods are doing about your fuel tanks. Are you reconditioning the old tank or installing fuel cells. I was thinking about putting a cell in the trunk right behind the rear seat . Any thoughts?..Jim

Comments

• Jim:

When I get to that point, I'm going to look at the fuel cells from RCI. I know a guy that bought one for his FJ40 (16 gal) that came with the sending unit, etc. for $160. I'd think they have the ones set up for EFI (pump in the tank, return line, etc.), but I'll research it later. If not them, someone has to make them. I was hoping to fit one where the original was to save trunk space, but will need to consider ride height (since I want mine loooowww) and may have to have the filler in the trunk, but we'll see. For the price of cell, I think they are nicer than having to go through the hassle of cleaning and coating the old tanks. I don't want any chance of junk coming loose in plugging up my EFI system or clogging the sock.

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hi Jim,

Here's a link to a pretty good forum discussion on fuel cells that shows what I was planning on doing and has some good information on sizes and types...Scroll down about 1/2 way to get to the fuel cell stuff...

http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3284&highlight=Fuel+Cell
  • I kept my original tank, because it was rust-free, but one good thing about getting a fuel cell. If you get the right size, it will make running "dual exhaust" a lot easier, since the tank, and rear spring, are so close together.
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    It's an ongoing thing here too. What to do! I still like the idea of the fuel cell mounted up over the rear end. The problem is that everytime you change something it causes a ripple effect to other parts as we all know.

I found that a '97-2001 Chevy/GMC S-10 truck tank is 18.5 gallons and the dimensions just fits in that space. You will have an inch to spare. I don't know if the fuel pump opening would be compatible. Interesting though if that is the correct size. It would be NEW and CHEAP, $160.

Another tank I am looking at is the Tanks Inc. 18 gallon odd shaped tank. It has a slope on one side. It could be turned around backwards for a better fit and place the fuel filler neck facing the open part of the trunk. Price, $250.

If I go the route of up in the trunk, I am going to use a shallow spare tire well. I will make it from 2 halves of a trailer fender and use a skinny VW Vanagon tire. This way the spare can be lifted from the trunk easily and not hang down so low that it could be damaged from the car being so low. I use this VW skinny tire in my convertible so it fits under the package tray nicely. It is still the same diameter but just skinny and the car won't know the difference.

Here's another wild idea. If you still want to keep your tank in the same place as the original and still keep the original filler placement. I was up under my '47 Ford convertible checking out it's fuel tank. It's from Tanks Inc. Wow! It has the same general shape and size as the Hudson tank but is about 17-18 gallons, Polypropolene, and can be fitted for the latest in tank fuel pump in the tank for us fuel injection guys. The size is not too much of a problem if you don't have real fuel hungry engine. Even the new Corvettes only have a 17 gallon tank.

The other tank that might work and is a little larger is the '49-'51 Ford tank. It is closer to the Hudson's measurements and is 20.86 gallons. It's worth checking out if you want to keep the tank under the car.

Anyway, just some ideas to kick around.

Peace,

Chaz
  • Ouch is right Rick! Nice tanks but out of my reach. And Chaz, thanks for the info, certainly some good possiblitites there.

Jay
This discussion has been closed.