REAR END PROBLEM?????

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
'51 HUDSON WITH OVERDRIVE, STICK SHIFT.
CAR STARTS FINE AND RUNS GOOD. WHEN I SHIFT IT IN GEAR, IT WON'T GO. THE DRIVE SHAFT IS TURNING FINE. COULD BEING LOW ON GEAR OIL IN THE REAR CAUSE IT?
THANKS, DON

Comments

• sounds like a broken axle to me frown.gif i take it you have the car jacked up in back,and can see the driveshaft turn,but the rear wheels don't? as long as you have the back of the car up in the air try turning one wheel by hand and see if the other one spins,then let us know what happened-george
  • No. If the driveshaft is turning and the car is not moving (assuming both wheels on the ground) the notoriously weak (pre-Dana) Hudson rear has given up. If you tear it down you will most likely find a handful of bits that the spider gears broke into. This happened to my '51 Hornet; my Dad told me it would if I didn't quit with the burnouts and he was right. The most economical and satisfactory fix is to get the rear from a late '52 to '54 car. It will bolt right in and is much stronger.
  • Thanks....looks like it is time to throw in the towel. My health has gotten worst so anymore major repairs are out of the question.
  • I appreciate your help...unable to do anymore work on it due to health.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Changing the rear pumpkin or the axle is no real problem. Where are you locatred? Maybe somone will be nice enough to help you out.

Lew
This discussion has been closed.