51-52 Hornet Rear Differentials...

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello, I am beginning the restoration of a 51 Hollywood and am currently working on the rear suspension/axle. The Hollywood has a "welded" type differential cover. I also have a 52 Hornet that has the removeable rear differential cover. Is one better than that other? I may look at swaping if one is better than the other... Also, are seals (pinion, axle) available for both of these? This is my first Hudson restoration and I am learning as I go along so any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• The later rear is much stronger. The Hornet is fully capable of busting the earlier rear. If you have a Hydramatic, the ratio will be different between them (later is numerically lower) but the standard transmission ratios are the same. Either way, it's a desirable switch.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The later differential is, I believe, a Dana 44 8.5". New CW&P are available with ratios down to 3.07, just what you need for highway driving.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Another advantage of the later axle is that the axle bearings are cheap ($12-$15) and easy to find, whereas bearings for the earlier ones are getting hard to find and very expensive. Also, it appears a couple of the aftermarket suppliers have gears down to 2.73 for the Dana 44 8.5" unit. Nice for transplanted stronger engines and "non-overdrive" automatic transmission.
This discussion has been closed.