Overdrive Transmission

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm considering installing an overdrive transmission in my 1949 Super Six. It currently has the 262 motor, 3-speed manual, 4.11:1 diff. gears. It could stand some improvement in the top end, along with my mileage.

I was wondering if a 1953 overdrive transmission would fit in my car? I imagine it's probably longer, so I would also need a shorter driveshaft. Other than a dash switch, I don't think there's anything else I'd need. Does anyone know if this is right? Would this be 12volts yet, in '53?

Thanks for the help, Doug

Comments

• The 49 transmission is a single lever. The 53 is a double lever. You need a 48 thur. 51 over drive transmission to fit in you car.
  • 53 was 6 volt
  • 1941 to early 1952 single lever o/d will work. You will need to have driveshaft shortened. 4.11 is excellent rear ratio for highway driving. I have used that combination in our 1941 C8, 1949 S8 and 1954 Hornet. Wiring tips can be found on my page tips section tips/tech help
  • I HAVE A 51 HORNET AUTOMATIC 3.58 REAR END WITH 50000 ACTUAL MILES, REPLACED WITH A 3.07 A FEW YEARS AGO. WILL NEED HUBS AND BRAKES FROM YOUR 4.11. SOME SAY THIS WORKS PRETTY GOOD. DUSTYHORNET@AOL.COM
  • If you can get the complete '53 transmission and overdrive you will also need the gearshift mechanisms to cope with the double lever layout, so it would, as mentioned, be better to get a single lever transmission with o/d. Preferable you should also get the kickdown switch, relay, and control cable, but you can rig up alternatives like a dash switch instead of kick-down. You will need the relevant wiring diagram. One point you mention though is fuel economy, don't expect too much improvement in this department. Although the step-up with o/d is 30%, this in effect means the engine is working that much harder to maintain speed (ever ridden a bicycle in high gear into a wind or uphill?) The laws of physics dictate, within certain parameters, that it takes a given amount of fuel to propel a given mass a given distance. However, the advantage of less engine wear, quieter running, and easier cruising are the benefits. I have 4.1 rear end in my Jet with o/d and it is an excellent ratio for modern conditions, as the engine is only doing 2000 r.p.m. @ 60 m.p.h. I have geared my ,28 Essex up 20% through changing the rear end, and this improves the cruising considerably, but gives no improvement in economy due to the brick wall streamling of the car. Good luck'
    Geoff, N.Z.
  • hudsonguy
    With my stock 3 spd., no O/D, 4.11, stock 7.10 x 15 tires, my engine is revving about 2950 at 60 mph. It seems like it could do that all day long, and I have no problem going that speed, since I'm usually in the right lane, anyway, but I would like to give the engine a little bit of a break. The last highway trip I took, I probably cruised around 65 on the freeway, and got about 14-15 mpg. Then when I switched to 55 mph (or slower) roads, the mileage bumped up to 16-17.

Another option I'm considering is switching to a 3.58 gear, which I've been told also works well.

Again, thanks for all the help with this. I'm very grateful for this forum, and all of the seasoned veterans that contribute to it. I'm still a Hudson rookie, but with your help, I'm learning. Doug
  • I have a 49 and it has a 4:58 rear end and with the overdrive it has been getting 19 to 21 MPG. I run around 60 65 most of the time on the hwy. I just replaced my clutch and new motor and trans. mounts and had to adjust shift linkage and found wear in the three points that move when you shift. I would check that and re bush as needed. There is a grease fitting for this across from the starter but I never knew it was there until I was watching the levers move from under the hood and could see why it would not go in reverse. It had too much wear.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Another OD comment. Between 1949 and 1950 Borg made 3 changes to the OD unit. They all involved changes in the number and quantity of bearings in the OD Unit. The 51-2 is the most durable. However, it was also designed for the greater HP motors of the 50's. The 49 unit will work quite well in your 49. I have one in my 49. There are also differences in the wiring between the 49 and the later (51-2) OD unit. Do not go through all the trouble to change to a 2 lever unit. You will have to change the shifter and all the linkages. The only advantage you will get from doing all that is the change. The OD unit is the same. Besides, 49- early 52 units are plentiful

Lew
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Also, you can keep the standard transmission rear. It will work fine.
  • hudsonguy
    I'd started a thread earlier, and am just trying to refresh it with a new post.

I'm still looking for a single lever O/D transmission, preferably near the Midwest somewhere. (I'm in Madison, Wisconsin). This is for my '49 Super Six, and I'm trying to upgrade my drivetrain this winter to get ready for a 'cross-country' trip next year for the HET Natl's.

So far, the closest one I've located is in Montana, and shipping would be a killer. If anyone knows of any in the Midwest area, please let me know either thru this board, or email me at 'HETdoug.seals@design-concepts.com', and remove the 'HET'

Thanks,
    Doug
  • [ QUOTE ]
    I'd started a thread earlier, and am just trying to refresh it with a new post.

I'm still looking for a single lever O/D transmission, preferably near the Midwest somewhere. (I'm in Madison, Wisconsin). This is for my '49 Super Six, and I'm trying to upgrade my drivetrain this winter to get ready for a 'cross-country' trip next year for the HET Natl's.

So far, the closest one I've located is in Montana, and shipping would be a killer. If anyone knows of any in the Midwest area, please let me know either thru this board, or email me at 'HETdoug.seals@design-concepts.com', and remove the 'HET'

Thanks,
    Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug:

Have you checked into sending the trans via BUS? The shipping is ususally inexpensive compared to trucking and USPS/FedX. .... GOOD LUCK

Ken Cates
    Waco, Texas cool.gif
  • don't know what shipping is now but a few years ago you could send ups for $80 must remove bell housing to get in under weight limit. but you might not need that anyway, if you have one already. or was in more and the weight limit was 80lb check it out. thats thr way you ship them to arizona to the tranny guy maricopa i think
  • Doug,

If you need the wiring diagram for the overdrive system, drop me an email at pax2728ab@netscape.net and I'll send you a copy.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
This discussion has been closed.