spark plug wires

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone know if there is a readily available set of spark plug wires made for a more modern six cylinder car that will fit very nicely on a '53 Hornet with 308 motor?

Comments

• If your goal is to get spark plug wires, be aware that Dave Kostansek sells them. If by 'readily' you mean within an hour or so, I guess you could try your local auto parts store for a universal spark plug wire kit. Or you might try something like Hemmings.com to see if any company which sells spark plug wires for older cars, is located near you.
  • Plug wires are easy to make up. If you decide to go that route, use a good 7 or 8 mm wire and don't forget the 90 degree angle type boots for the plugs themselves. Over the years I have found that cheap wires are just that, cheap wires. Premium wires will last longer, perform better and are well worth the extra money.
  • Yes, I do agree that you "get what you pay for", so to speak, and for the couple bucks difference, its really not worth fooling around with the cheap stuff in this case. However, I do wish to keep a stock appearance so was looking for something ready made that would give me quality, performance, and appearance that would suffice until I restore the car to "show" standards, and then of course only exact repros will suffice.
    I think I'll just grab a set of made up wires for a Ford or Chevy six that compare in length and use them for now.
    Thanks for the input.

silverone.
  • Make sure that the wires that you're buying are for an inline 6, not a V-6. I think that the inline 6 wires will be longer that those for a V-6. Also, check the wires for an AMC inline 6. That engine is still used today in Jeeps (I think) and may be closer in length. Certainly will be easier to find. At one time Pep Boys sold a universal kit for inline 6's. You may want to check with them or their web site.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    YOu might want to re-think using modern wires. The correct wires are copper core. Modern wires are carbon core resister type. Altho I have used them in the past with good results, they can caus problems as the resistance in the carbon based wires is different than the copper core wires. Just give Dave Kostancek a call and he will send you a correct set for a reasonable price (about 35.00) This way you will not have to fppl woith making up a set from parts house stock.
  • I think you're right with that one! Besides, why buy another set later on for the show car if I've already got the right stuff. I'll give Dave a call soon. There's some other stuff I need that i'm sure he can help me with too.

silverone
This discussion has been closed.