29 Essex

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hi,

I just found this forum and thought I'd put my two cents worth in.

I have a 1929 Essex with 350/350th, Fatman Fabrications IFS, 68 Camaro posi rear. I've had the car on the road for a few years. Its presently undergoing some repairs after a recent electrical/fuel fire. Not too bad, just hoses and wires. While it's down I plan on repainting and upgrading a few things. Check out my website at www.nucwa.com/page2.html

GaryB

Southwest Arkansas

Comments

• Nice ride Gary! How do you like the Fatman set-up? I have one in the garage waiting to go into my 50 Pacemaker.

Jay
  • Hello Gary B,

Your thread caught my eye, since Im in the process of building a '28 Essex 4 door. The color scheme is the same as my original paint, but Im thinking of a different color when I get ready to paint. I'm a long way from that point right now. I have a question for you about the Camaro rear you used. Do you know the axle width from wheel flange to wheel flange ? I'm considering an S-10 rear for mine which is 61 inches from flange to flange and am concerned about having my tires completely under the fenders. I can't tell in your photos if yours are completely under in the rear. I've ordered a TCI front clip for mine, because I want the coil overs in the front.
  • sach,

Here is the setup you need. I have been doing alot of research lately. 8.8 Ford rear out of Ford Explorer. They have disc brakes, good road gears and are plentiful. They are strong enough for v8 power. And the best thing 54 inches inside flange to flange. This is the same size as a 57-59 ford (narrowest 9in rearend made) or the same as a 66-70 bronco. I am seriously considering one for my 28 essex. My 9 inch that is in it now is 61 inches flange to flange and it is about 4 inches too wide to fit into the essex fenders. You could go with offset rims but that is a lot of offset to go. Let me know if you want more details. I am doing all the research now. The S10 may be okay as well, but with the ford you can have disc brakes all the way around. May as well if you have to buy a new rear end. Also parts can be bought easily at auto parts stores.
  • Steve,

Thanks for the input on the rear for the Essex. The S-10 I've looked at is from a '99 S-10 Blazer and also has posi with disc brakes. The Ford rear is probably a better choice, but I've already ordered my IFS with Chevy brakes and wheel pattern. If you come up with any other options,I'd be glad to listen.

Sach
  • jsrail,

I'm pretty well satisfied with the fatman ifs. I ordered the affordable ifs complete assembly. I've had a few problems with it. I changed the bolts holding the steering arms on, only because I ran off the scales at the strip and sheared one off. The other problem I've had is that it won't return to center when I release the wheel. They sent me some new alignment specs they say will solve the problem. I'll find out soon. It handles good. I started out with a 1954 chev pu straight axle and a dodge rack and pinion, bad choice. Couldn't keep it on the road a high speeds.

Just be sure everything is tight when you assemble it.

Gary B
  • Was the straight axle setup using 2 leaf springs or was it the wishbone type with the transverse mounted spring. I want to use the solid axle with the transverse spring and harpin radius rods, gas shocks and panhard bar. Do you think I will have trouble with it at high speeds? I have read as much as I can about straight axle fronts and prefer it for the old school look. I am interested in why the straight axle did not work for you.

Thanks

Steve

1928 Essex coupe w/ mopar power
  • Rick @ Hudson Trucking Co.

The S-10 Blazer rear is 61" from flange to flange, which may make it too wide to get the wheels under the fenders. I went ahead and purchased it because the guy at the salvage yard was getting ready to unload it to another customer and I didn't want to miss out on it. According to the options listed on the glove of the Blazer, (option GT4) it has 3.73 gears. It also had the G80 option (posi) which the guy at the yard porbably didn't know about. I got it mainly because of the quality condition it was in, with only 50K on the speedo and someone had just replaced the rear brake pads on it before it was wrecked. If I can't use it , it will make someone a good rear for their project. I pulled off the rear cover to make sure that the teeth on the gears were ok, and found nothing wrong. The gear oil was gold color and no shavings found on the magnet.

Other gear ratios listed for this particular year model were as follows:

(1) - GU3 - 2.73

(2) - GU4 - 3.08

(3) - GU5 - 3.23

(4) - GU6 - 3.42

(5) - GT4 - 3.73 ( mine )

(6) - G80 - posi-traction (mine )

All these options are found on the glove box door on the options tag. If the vehicle has one of these numbers listed (1 thru 5 ) it'll have that ratio, plus if it has G80 listed, it'll have posi.

Good luck,

Sach
  • HemiEssex,

I used the original spring mounts and a disc brake conversion. I had to fab steering arms for the spindles and used a rear mount rack and pinion. It worked well except for the bumpsteer. I know now that it was just bad geometry with the rack and pinion. Also the ifs handles and rides 100% better. It lowered the car a little more than I really wanted, but I can live with that. My original idea was to keep the car looking as original as possible and still have a modern drive train. Now I think I'll go hot rod all the way.

For ride and handling I don't think you could beat the ifs.

Gary B

www.nucwa.com/page2.html
  • After rolling the S-10 rear up to the rear of my '28, I observed the wheels stick out way too far beyound the rear fenders and obviously will not look cool ! The 61" width between wheel flanges is way too wide for the '28. Am looking into some older GM applications right now (1964 thru 1967 Camaro, Chevelle and Nova ) which I'm told are between 55" and 56" wide at the axle flange. My last resort will be the Ford Explorer, because I'd like to keep my suspension all GM.

Sach.
  • I also am working on a '28 4 door. Has anyone found a metal top that would work. I am repacing the top wood shortly.

Thanks

Dan
  • I have a thread on the other Hudson form running now "Which 9" Ford rear-end" http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5449

Where I am trying to find which 9" ford rear-ends are 55+- for my 47 truck. Looks like we are both looking for the same solution. Which ford explorer do you think fits?

these pages are useful

http://www.quickperformance.com/Technical%20Info/sus_measure.htm

http://www.nzmustang.com/TechData/9inchdiffs.htm

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/ifs&rearend.htm

I am open to other rear-ends. Ops that didn't sound right.

You know what i mean.
This discussion has been closed.