suggestions for a sub frame for 51 pacemaker

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
What sub frame would be a good choice for this car?, I have a camaro sub frame , but was just wondering if there was a better choice?

Comments

• fatman fabrications are really good, install easily/good directions but they are a bit PRICY it seems to me.
  • I'm going to run a Fatman's Stage II (though I can add airbags later) with the power rack as it seemed a good choice when it came to a new MII set-up, but probably no better or worse than TCI or Heidts. Their tech people seem to be real helpful. Since I have frame rot problems though, it will be awhile before I get to the install (until my donor car gets here). I did pay for Doc's install article (Fatman's sent me one on a Pontiac) on this install on a Hornet, so if anyone wants a copy (hopefully it doesn't break any copyright laws) I can fax it to you. It seems like an easy install if you have good welding skills, and measure, measure, measure!

Jay :-)
  • I have seen several Hudsons with the Camaro subframe installed. It appears to be pretty simple, almost a bolt in. A couple of guys up in Susanville, California have used them for some time. I have heard that once upon a time there even was a technical article on using it in WTN, I haven't been able to locate a copy yet.
  • desperate to find a suitable front clip for a '41 truck, they're so narrow on the track width (56.5' by my measurements) most people I've spoken to all say '70s mopar A body. track width on those I'm told is around 60' would that be too much? the wheels on the truck do seem well tucked in so I'm thinking an inch or so each side might work plus I like the idea of torsion bars adjustable etc.Any ideas please?

Jerry....
  • I am in the process of fabricating a mustang II front suspension for my 47 sedan. The width of a stock mII or pinto suspension is about right but you have to cut out the stock suspension and modify/replace part of the frame. I also raised my frame rails as my car is sitting very low.
  • put one in my 48 coup, went in easy, with the dropped spindles ,was not much higher than rehabbing an old rusty camaro that we had.
  • hey guys check out a 1985 jaguar XJ6 front clip
    it is about 60 inches wide--is held in place with 4 bolts--11" vented discs with 4 piston calipers--the only down side is it is a rear steer rack,which means on some motors you may have to set the motor an inch or two further back----i walked one out of the local pickapart for less than $200----it is going to go under one of my 1950 pacemakers---bob
  • savoy64 wrote:
    hey guys check out a 1985 jaguar XJ6 front clip
    it is about 60 inches wide--is held in place with 4 bolts--11" vented discs with 4 piston calipers--the only down side is it is a rear steer rack,which means on some motors you may have to set the motor an inch or two further back----i walked one out of the local pickapart for less than $200----it is going to go under one of my 1950 pacemakers---bob

I can say that I am happy to hear that an XJ6 jaguar is serving a purpose, other than being a terrible design study, and an electrical nightmare (good ole lucas and all)..... :D
  • hey bill----thats why the british drink warm beer----lucas refrigerators---also alot of the hot rod guys are grabbing the jag rearends i noticed speedway catalog has a selection of parts for the jag rear
    been wondering about the feasability of using that big jaguar 6---twin overhead cam---i imagine you get stuck with some type of suspicious transmission though---bob
  • My wifes '50 pacemaker has a '74 camaro clip with a 350 combo. We bought it already clipped. If I could do it all over again I would have waited and found a stocker, or a Hornet for the added power. Personally I think the stock clip is good. I am happy with the factory suspension on my '46 p/u. Just needs a power brake/steering conversion. Just my $.02

Joe
  • hudsonkid wrote:
    I can say that I am happy to hear that an XJ6 jaguar is serving a purpose, other than being a terrible design study, and an electrical nightmare (good ole lucas and all)..... :D

Hey, I represent that comment! LOL ('88 Range Rover)
This discussion has been closed.