1957 HUDSON

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Anyone have a Gates, NAPA, CarQuest, etc. part number for the lower radiator hose on the 327 V-8?

Comments

• Lower radiator hose 1957 Hornet - I have an older NAPA catalog that lists FM 42 for 1956-1957. Paul Schuster can probably give you a newer number.
  • Good luck...

I have a '57 as well and was lucky enough to find one with one of the AMC parts guys (Blasers)....and got his last one. They are rare as hen's teeth. It has a different diameter on the water pump end than the radiator end. I have been using a flexi-hose for now until I pull my engine this fall and rebuild it....I'll put the right hose on when I drop the engine back in.

Please post your results on the forum if you find a source!

Todd Harrington
  • Thanks, I'll check it out. I got this P/N from the Nash site for the 327 engine (The part number you need is: (gates) 20539) and will try to confirm when I receive the 1911-80 Gates catalog I won off ebay.

OK, if it is a different diameter on one end than the other, CarQuest has an adapter for that because I used such an adapter on my '53 Packatd Clipper. I don't know yet what the '57 hose diameters are, but for a 1.75" to a 1.5", the "hose adapter" is CarQuest 26391 for about $4.25.
  • Got a 20539 hose from CQ today and it IS different diameter on each end; a "quick-look" though, it does not appear to fit, but I'll check it out more thoroughly tonight. Still need a number for the top radiator hose and maybe another number for the bottom. The Gates website provided two numbers, but CQ says one is discontinued and the other turned out to be a small bypass type heater hose. I have emailee a couple of '57 club member owners, but one does not have the numbers and the other I never got a reply from. Hard to believe something as simple as radiator hose #s are not well documented.
  • I don't care what kind of hose it is, so long as it fits. I'm not the least concerned about "originality" for a hose. A hose is a hose if it fits and provides a passage for coolant.
  • Todd, do you have a number for either top or bottom hose, even a flex hose will do. I think the only way I am going to find a hose that works is to remove thos off the car and go to the back of a Carquest or NAPA store and compare to everything they have to try and find something that will work.
  • I will check my notes and see what I have. I got a top hose from Dave Kostansek and the bottom from Blasers (AMC supplier).
  • Thanks Todd. If Dave has the hoses, I would just get one from him, but his two-page list from my last order of brake hoses form him I don't think listed '57. Hey, I have another number to check out. On our 96 mile tour today, we stopped in this small town auto supply store, a store known by the locals to find hard -to-find items. I got a DAYCO 70466 as the top molded hose for the '57. He had a flex hose, but I was unsure of the length and it did not have different diameters on the ends.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    HI SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO FIND THESE #'S ANY WAY HERE ARE THE #'S YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT THE HOSES ARE NAPA #7096 AND NAPA #8623 THE UPPER HOSE IS A MOLDED HOSE THE LOWER IS A FLEX HOSE I ALWAYS USE A HOSE SPRING COIL IN SIDE MY LOWER HOSE SO IT DOESN'T SUCK CLOSED I ALSO PUT A LITTLE EXTRA GAURD ON THE LOWER HOSE (A PEICE OF HOSE)IT'S REAL CLOSE TO THE POWER STEERING BELT I HOPE THESE HELP IT'S WHAT I USED ON ALL 3 OF MY 57'S cool.gif
  • Thanks Paul. I will check those hoses out Monday with local NAPA store, The NAPA online came back to me with an inability to help, but suggested I try s local store directly.
  • '57 radiator hoses. Well, I was pondering how 1/5" I.D. hoses would fit but after careful study of this '57, I have determined that the top hose is oversize and just really tightened down with a wrench probably as the bottom is falred out a good bit; on the bottom hose, at least for a ways on each end, it appears there is a hose inside a hose.
    I plan to order the new hoses tomorrow.
  • falred = flared
  • FYI -
    NAPA #7096 = CARQUEST 21660

NAPA #8623 = CARQUEST 21933
  • Paul, can you confirm those two numbers? The upper 7096 does not have the slight bend in it at the end to fit onto the radiator fitting? And the #8623 from NAPA is molded rather than flex and appears too small with the 1.5" I.D. as it looks like a 1.75" I.D. is needed. ???
This discussion has been closed.