Electrical leak

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Both the Hudson and the Kaiser have a leak in the electrical system that causes their batteries to die a slow death. What's the best way to find out what's causing the problem?

Comments

• I dunno, but I'd disconnect 'em when you put the car away!
  • On the Kaiser, check to be sure the trunk light is not reamining on.

To verify for sure there is a drainage, pull the hot wire cable off and connect one of those small radio shack/harbor freight type ammeters between the cable and the battery terminal post and see if you get a reading of something drawing current. My '83 Camry gave me fits on this until I discovered it was some unknown short in one of the wires that was a part of the terminal connector. Still not sure what the problem was, but replacing the terminal and wire cured it. Beyond that you would have to selectively check each output at the fuse block for current flowing with the ignition off where it is not supposed to.
  • If you have not already done so, check the output from the generators. They may not be fully charging the batteries. Also, check that the voltage regulators are functioning correctly and that your battery cables are clean and tight.
  • There is one, usually very neglected area, that can cause all sorts of electrical problems - terminals!!! One would think that a terminal cannot corrode if it is tight - not so. I had a 1969 Rambler that the idiot light would come on, sometimes bright, sometimes dim, ran thru all the ranges. Everything was checked both by me and by a friend of mine who IS an expert on auto electric systems. In desperation I finally unscrewed, unbolted, even took the slide on terminals apart, that I could get a wrench, screwdriver and hammer to and cleaned every blessed one of them until they were shiny and bright. End of problem. Something to consider - could cause enough of a current drain, tho I didn't have that problem, to drain the battery.
  • The electric clocks remain in operation all the time, and will eventually cause the battery to run down, but the battery would have to have a low charge for this to happen. ensure that the battery is kept fully charged and you should not have nay problems. To check if you have any drainage, disconnect the battery cable, and then connect across with a digital amp meter in series. There should be no reading, except every now and again a pulse when the clock points contact. If you have a constant reading, you will have to check each circuit and find where it is coming from. Could be a door switch leaving a light on. Bad contacts won't cause the battery to run down. Good luck,
    Geoff, N.Z.
This discussion has been closed.