'46 Hudson PU engine swap

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I was wondering about the possibility of swapping a late 90's Jeep 4.0L inline six into my '46 Hudson Pickup. I know this is off the beaten path, but you never know what some guys might have experience with!

I kind of like staying with an inline six as opposed to a V8, and maybe wouldn't run into as many clearance issues with the steering and such.

I welcome any thoughts and opinions, or other suggestions.

Tom Drew

Comments

• One of our Chapter members has a '47 Hudson PU with a 300 Ford six with automatic, and it's a fairly stright-forward job. The Jeep engine is shorter in length than the Ford, if memory serves right, so it, too should be relatively easy to install.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    It would be interesting to see someone use one of these engines in a engine swap project. My wife's new Rainier has the I6 in it and it is super quiet and very powerful, 291hp and plenty of torque.
  • Rick, I've seen the truck you linked to. It's rougher than a cob and the guy is in dreamland with the price. The Chev six runs pretty good though and the installation is not bad. I think that the AMC/Jeep/Chrysler 258/4.0 would be a great swap into one of these trucks though.
  • Thanks everyone for your ideas. Hadn't thought of the new GM I6 engines, seems like some real possibilities there. Please let's keep this going if people have more to contribute.

Tom Drew
  • 50C8DAN
    Rick the GM I6 may be too long for the Hudson Truck eng. compartment. The I5 might be a better fit, at 220 hp it is no slouch either.
  • hornet53
    hornet53 Senior Contributor
    I, personally, like the idea of the Cummins turbo-diesel. Think of the hauling possibilities...
  • 50C8DAN
    Would be a great idea if it wasn't for the weight! Cummins is a brusier!
This discussion has been closed.