Inability to register or log in?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I notice a lot of 'anonymous' people here! If you are having trouble in registering or logging in, please e-mail me and I'll pass your problem along to the webmaster. Please be specific as to your problem.

Were you ever able to register and login correctly, and if so when did your difficulties begin?

Do you bookmark the site, or do you come here through a link from another site?

Which browser and version are you using (for instance, Netscape, Internet Explorer, or...)?

Are you using a Mac or IBM compatible PC?

Can you explain exactly what happens when you attempt to login (or does the problem occur after login?). The upper left corner of the page, under CLASSICCAR.COM FORUMS, should say, 'Welcome Joe Jones (Logout)' (assuming your name is Joe Jones!).

Please e-mail me at HETDetailed@verizon.com (delete the HET before mailing). Thanks!

--Jon Battle

Comments

• Jon:

The posters do not have to be anonymous... they can remove that and replace with the name of choice as I did in this post... I prefer to remain non registered even if it disallows me the privilidge of emailing the registered users. Just my take on things...

Ken Cates
  • That's pretty obvious, kc. No one should be allowed to post here anonymously. It can lead to problems from RUDE intruser's. kc, your preferences are acknowledged, but you don't explain your rationale; why not? For someone who enjoys and seeks credit for so much about Hudson input, it follows that you would want to post just who you are and just what you are up to each and EVERY time that you post.

I propse a rules change that requires that EVERYONE who posts here must register in some shape or form so we know who is posting "trash" when it occurs!!!!!!!!!!!! This will stop the "trash", and keep this Forum in a positive light so we can keep those Hudson's on the road for present and future generations. grin.gif

Moderator's Comment: I applaud your sentiment that all those who post, should identify themselves. Why not take your own advice to heart?
  • I am an HET member I have had problems logging in over and over with no success I have changed passwords etc etc, I wrote website got new password same problem.I have dial up connection IBM compatible computer Windows XP and had saved the logon page for forums as my entry point.
    Here's what I found If I go to the main page at start up then proceed to logon then to forum it works,So there appears to be an issue with bookmarking anything but main page.Since I have dial up connection staying logged on or automatically remembering password is not an option.
    So I will now go back to main and see if I logon then post hello.
    Thanks Ray
  • That is me above Hello!! So definitely is a glitch
  • Now we are on the issue of login etc. Is there any way to sort and keep the NEW TOPIC POSTED by order of date and not the last posted reply which can drag up an old topic from way back. This is just a personal preference and may not suit all.
  • You can customize the way you see this page. I'm not sure this includes the way you want to do it, but check it out anyway. ASSUMING you are correctly registered and you can log in, look to the top right side of the page under the advertising banner, to find the list of options that include MY HOME. Click MY HOME.

Now, under MAIN CONFIGURATION find DISPLAY PREFERENCES and click EDIT to the right. Now go down to DEFAULT SORT ORDER and check out some of the alternatives in the box.

By the way, you can attempt to change your password in the PERSONAL INFORMATION box (click EDIT at its right side).
  • I have problems as well, but they are intermittent. Sometimes it indicates I am still logged in, but when I got hit the post, the anonymous shows up. I haven't tried to figure out a pattern.
  • Ray, I don't know what the problem is, but I have the same system as you described and I haven't had any problems, after I put the main index into my favorites book. I just click on the classic car forums in the favorites drop down and I go directly to the main index and am logged in. Hopefully everyone will sign there postings. That way even if the forums lists them as anonymous, We will still know who is posting. As for being rude, or obnoxious, The ones who ARE, will be that way weather they post a name or not..
  • Here's how the system seems to work, based upon my observations.

1). If you have correctly registered, and you established a bookmark to the Hudson forum after you were logged in (it would say 'Welcome, Joe Schmutz (Logout)' in the upper left corner in that event), THEN every time you came to this page via your bookmark you would be logged in. If you come to the page through another link (such as at the H-E-T home page) you may or may NOT be logged in when you get here.

2). Normally, if you see a Forum topic that interests you and click on it, a separate window will open up on the screen, showing only the postings for that topic. You should then be indicated as being logged in.

3). Let's suppose you had a Classiccar CHATROOM open, and wanted to visit the Forums. So you left the chatroom on, and then opened up a separate browser, where you then went to the Hudson Forum through your bookmarks. NOW, if you click on a Forum topic that interests you, the new screen that opens -- the one that shows only the postings for that topic -- will TAKE OVER THE CLASSICCAR FORUM PAGE SCREEN! And in THIS case, the window showing the list of postings will show you as NOT LOGGED IN! So if you post a message from THAT screen, you will be 'anonymous'.

So.... if you want to post a message on the Forum, be sure that NO CLASSICCAR CHATROOM is open when you go to the Forum.

BY THE WAY, if you are having intermittent trouble logging in, why not try changing your password? Assuming you can log in correctly at some point, click on MY HOME at the top right side of the page. When there, go down the MAIN CONFIGURATION and find 'PERSONAL INFORMATION...'. Click on EDIT to the right of this. There, you will find a place in which to change your password (to one that works, or that you can remember better).

I don't guarantee than any of the above will help, but give it a whirl if you've been having trouble logging into the Forum!
  • I would first like to state that ClassicCar.com is grateful for the participation of the Hudson Group and all those that post here. It is always of concern when we hear of problems with features on ClassicCar.com

In the case of the Forums, this Software – UBB.threads is one of the most used posting board software applications on the market today. The issue of logon has not been a noted issue with InfoPop, the maker of UBB.threads. We have discussed the questions brought up here in the Forums regarding logon with them. Each time, we have failed to replicate the issues discussed here. This fact DOES NOT rule out a bug or other problem. It only makes the task harder. Adding to our failure to replicate the problem is that this type of problem is not being reported by any other group using the UBB.threads system at this time.

At this time, the only information we can offer for reliable logons is to make sure all other browser windows are closed, enter from the main page of the forums, and select logon and login with your username and password – you have to watch your case sensitivity too. We recommend you have “cookies” turned on and you disable any adware programs or any other utilities that block or sweeps cookies off when you close your browser.

I do not want to get into a big debate about cookies here – if you have some concern with allowing cookies, please keep those postings to yourself…please. Most “cookies” serve a very useful purpose….like allowing the Forum to remember you when you return or when switching windows. The ClasssicCar.com Forums cookie stores only your username, password, and browser id number, that’s all, and it is stored on your computer not ours. Again, if you have an issue with using cookies…they are not needed to access the Forums, but it may cause you problems.

Now, AOL users have custom browser features that do weird things in the name of over-all security for those using their services. The best advice we can give you folks is to make sure you are running the latest version of AOL, older versions have some issues.

We hope some of these tips help you with the logon issue. There will be a version update this month, but we did not see anything in the version bug fix list to make us believe this problem is on the radar screen of the InfoPop tech guys. Again, we hope this information is useful.

grin.gif
  • Moderator's Comment: I applaud your sentiment that all those who post, should identify themselves. Why not take your own advice to heart?

Well, I certainly don't mind taking my own advice, and thanks, Jon, for inviting me back. I did it intentionally just to prove a point that was understood positively by some and ignored by some others, apparently. In the recent past you elected to remove a series of posts on one topic due to the adverse nature of some posts; this is my point that those series of posts would not have occurred if the instigator (anonaymous) was required to make himself known. i.e., cowardly, childish & intimidating behavior is unnecessary. I vow not to post anonymously again. Have a good one, ALL. crazy.gif
This discussion has been closed.