Rear wheel hubs

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am replacing the brake cylinders on my 53 Hornet. The front hubs came off with ease but the back 2 are not comming off. Am I missing something? Shoudn't they just come off after the center nut and pin are taken off? Any advice would be great!! Thanks, Kim

Comments

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Are you using a puller of some sort? Hudson rear drums are pressed on. I bought one from Cloyd Steiner, and I'm sure there are others available. Plus there's always the possiblity that the shoe adjusters need to be backed off slightly to clear the ridge that's left as the shoe wears down.
  • Thanks , I did back off the brakes. I thought it might be something like that. Is a puller like this hard to find?

Kim
  • You will have to use a hub puller to remove the rear hubs. May be able to rent one from a repair shop. J.C.Whitney sells one that looks good for around $55.00. Also might try N.A.P.A. or any parts stores. B.K.TN.
  • WHEEL%20PULLER%20WITH%20DOIG%20BONE.JPG

You'll find a picture of the puller you need, plus an illustrated how-to, at Paul Schuster's photo album site, over at the Hudson photo album page. http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/rearwheelpuller.msnw In the past I've found that rental places -- especially older ones -- will have these pullers to rent out.

(if the photo above doesn't appear, right-click the little red X and then click SHOW PICTURE in the dialog box)
  • Thanks to all who replied. I rented a puller and they came right off.

Thanks, again,

Kim grin.gif
This discussion has been closed.