36 Terraplane Hot-rod

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Ok suppose a guy is going to have some funds to create a 36 Terraplane street rod. He wants a convertible but can't afford the 60k and wants a modern drive train etc. Sooo. What if he buys a 36 coupe body and puts in on a different frame and revs it up with a cool but not to outrageous engine. Then he has a decent shop do the Hudson unthinkable of making it into a convertible. Well that is a dream I am having. So fellow hot-rod enthusiasts I need your expertise. I have some guys in our local club that build hot-rods and they all have ideas. Now I need your suggestions - knowledge and ramblings. Which model body - What frame and drive train - A hudson engine or a chevy etc. No I don't want a monster engine just something to have fun on the street with.

So help out a soon to be hudson street rodder and give me some of that well worn experience you all seem to have. Oh yeah the convertible is a definite. The other half has spoken.

Comments

• The Hudson engine would be a cool nostalgic touch. But don't forget some of the older cool engines like: Buick nailhead, Ford Y block, Hemi (red ram, desoto, chrysler), Oldsmobile rocket, Cadillac, Studebaker V8. Alot of these old engines can be had cheap as this 350/350 chevy craze has put alot of them out to pasture. Egge machine can supply you with all the parts needed to build such engines. I would like to see the Hudson engine used just to be different but my being a mopar fan, the hemi would be the ultimate and they are not as expensive as people lead you to believe. Just don't do the cookie cutter chevy 350 route. Snore!!!! And as far as modifying the car, go for it man, it would be a very cool car, different and making it into a rag top would definitely make people stand up at attention.

cheers

Steve
  • I'd consider a Hudson engine first, just because a Hudson-powered Hudson rod would shine on the street and the shows! I, too, am a die-hard Mopar guy, and I'd seriously consider a 6.1 Hemi out of a 300, or a 392 Chrysler Hemi, or a stout 340/360. Mopars are economical to build and aren't anywhere near the PITA what the Chevy crowd makes them out to be. If you're going to the trouble of building a ragtop from a coupe, and making a truly individualized car, don't go with the Chevy engine and "me-too" it. Be different! You're building a Hudson, make it so!
  • Ok ok okkkkk......!!!!! No 350 chevy it is. So how about a built up NOT way up 308 I like that Idea vs the chrysler Hemi. What do you think my cost would be for each and would I be beter off with the chrysler if I went on hte road and needed to get it fixed. Would I be beter if I had the hemi. BUUUT I love the idea of a hot 7x with some chrome. Well the it may come down to the costs. So what do you think.
  • Speaking of red ram engines I saved one out of a 56 custom royal that was too bad to restore. It says super red ram on the valve covers. I kept the push button automatic tranny and cable set up too. I thought it would be cool in a rod of some sort some day.
  • Geez!!!! Enough of the 350 bashing! lol You guys wait 'til mine is done.......no one will care that a 350 sits under the hood. My recommendation.............go as outrageous a set up as your budget will afford considering how you will drive it and what else needs to be done so you don't go over budget and time alloted. Mine will be a daily and long trip driver (I should get 24-26mpg)and there are many other items to consider (like rear end, steering column, suspension, redoing interior-wool is no good in the desert, repaint, etc.), so I choose a modern Corvette drivetrain set up. I like the new Hemi option, but they ate up too much of my budget at the time (and I have a toddler at home, so money is tight). But if mileage isn't a concern.........a blown or supercharged whatever sounds good to me!

Since you have a body-on-frame......I'd start looking at cars with a similar wheelbase and suspension set up you desire and see if you can find one that fits. You may be able to find one from a cheap to buy mid 70's to 80's that would be a bolt in (or at least easily modified) for the drivetrain set-up you want. A friend of mine years ago put a late 40's chevy sedan on a Ford Granada (if my memory doesn't fail me-it was his Mom's car) frame without much modification. Had disk brakes and a SBC.

IMHO take your time in planning and do your research. It is far too easy to go wild, find you don't have any more money, and have a project that sits indefinately.

Would Carson be able to make a top for that? I love those chopped Carsons!

Have fun!

Jay
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Another one of my favorites is the turbocharged Buick V6, the Grand National one is the best but all of them have a good deal of power for the size!
  • Jay, we are not bashing your choice of engines at all. You pretty much had your mind made up that you wanted a chevy engine from the start. I would like to point out though that I do not know where you are getting the new hemi is more expensive than the chevy. Mopar has 3 different options for crate engines for the new hemi. 5.7,5.7 carb and 6.1. As well as mopar has made over 1 million hemis so far and I could pretty much have my pick of any of them at any local yard here in Canada. Street and Performance makes all the wiring and in my research the price is very comparable to a chevy. Not to mention there is now an option for the 4-6-8 engine management system which would get even better mileage. Please do not take the anti chevy comments to heart, its just that for as long as I can remember, all the GM guys have done is crow about their small block chevies and knock the mopar engines. If Chrysler had made as many small blocks as GM has the small block makes the same power as a chevy, is acutally a little smaller in size and has proven to be a bullet proof power plant that can take serious abuse and still run for a long time ( I have seen stock 340s eat chevy 350s time and time again and well prepped 440s will give a 502 chevy a serious run for the money). Pretty much the same reasons why chevy is so popular. Every time someone comes over to see the essex with the 340 in it, all i hear is "why don't you put a chevy engine in it?" it just gets old very fast. After all if i wanted to be the same, I would be driving a fiberglass bodied 32 ford with a 350/350 combo. I have a hudson because I like being different. The mopar engines are not mainstream and are very economical to build and run. Again, I am sure your hudson will be a killer car, you are building it for your personal requirements and that is what rodding is all about. Opionions are like a!!holes, every one has one!!

just my 2 cents

cheers

Steve
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Although I like newer electronics and comforts for the inside of my Hudson I have a strong belief or desire in building my 49 as a "Hot-Rod" and that is to is to keep the engine and drive-train simple, powerful and effective for the goal and usage of the car.

A "Hot-Rod" powerplant for me is all about simplicity of purpose and the basics Spark, Gasoline and Air (really the only 3 things needed to make an engine run!) not how much wiring and sensors I can have hidden underneath some "custom engine cover". Can you tell - I HATE todays power-plants with all the electronic-sensors-injectors-and-general-B.S.

But in the end I'll offer up this simple and re-iterated advice -

If you go "new school", "old-school", or, "between-schools" - Go with the biggest Cubic-Inch-Nasty-Setup that you can afford and fits with the goals of the car!

I say to heck worrying about mileage - It's all about putting the foot down and driving if you ask me!

See what you get when you ask for peoples opinions! ;):D
  • hemiEssex, I know you guys are kidding around, thats why I put a "lol" after my comment. When I was shopping for a "low miler" used engine for my Coupe, All the hemi 5.7's (I don't want an older hemi) with an automatic tranny were priced around $1,000 to $2,000 more than the low miler corvette all aluminum 5.7 LT1 I ended up going with. I didn't want an older style crate motor, I want the modern (yes, computer driven) engine because I believe I can get better mileage than an old carbed crate motor. And it will not be any dragster either, I'll just let 'er out now and again on the highway. And mileage is important to me as gas prices go higher and my car will be driven everywhere, everyday (yes, it will get grocery cart and other parking lot dings, as so on). My last crate 350 SBC (bought new from Detroit in 1998) ran my 4x4 Jimmy awesome, but only got 8-10mpg (no matter the tire size). So yes, mileage is very important to me.

So, yes I have a Chevy SB, but I have never bashed other motors. I see nothing wrong with mopars, fords, etc. if they fit your bill. And I will never be one of those "why don't you put a chevy in it" guys. My father was an auto mechanic almost all his life and was a Chevy man, maybe I get some tendencies there, who knows. Don't worry, I don't take comments too personally, unless they become nasty (which this thread has not) and I know its all in good fun. And besides, and as long as my son and I look good cruisin our toy, we won't care what anyone things about our underhood! :-)

Jay
  • as long as its loud and cool looking who cares whats under the hood. If I show my coupe at a show I won't have the hood open anyways. I never open the hood on my wasp and I get kind comments all day long about the wonderful look of the car. I let them sit in the back seat and they are amazed by the room back there. Then when I point out the ankle straps I get a lot of smiles.
  • rambos_ride
    Notice how I gave my own one-sided opinion but then quickly "about-faced" with a politically savvy 180 degree piece-o-advice that basically says do what you want but do it as big as you can!

Now I'll back up my point about gas mileage and why I don't care...

With Mile per Year, Tank size, and Fuel prices the same the Series A car saves a bunch $1562.50 - nothing to sneeze at but not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things...
    gas1.bmp

Now here in picture 2 - I reset Series B mileage to reflect my actual driving habits vs the traditional average of 15k per year as a daily driver and what do you know Series A doesn't save a whole lot over the year - BUT - I got to drive the exact drivetrain combo I wanted without regards to mileage

gas2.bmp
    You could add more numbers in the equations about the difference in purchase cost per drivetrain - and then don't forget the difference in maintenance costs. So in 5 years time I bet overall I don't spend much more than the Series A driver!

But in the end I should just become a politician because I looks like I can really "spin" the numbers and the BS! :D :rolleyes: (that and they get FREE Gas!)

Have Fun - Just Kidding Around A Little!
  • Dan, you should run for office! lol

Actually, for my family, $1,500 is a lot of money during a year! Every bit helps with a toddler at home. :-) And I usually do about 25,000 miles a year on my driver. And the savings helps to pay for our trips overseas each year.

Jay :-)
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    Dan, you should run for office! lol

...And I usually do about 25,000 miles a year on my driver. And the savings helps to pay for our trips overseas each year.

Wow - now that I plugged your 25k a year driving into Series A = Series B - with the big nasty motor - would end up saving almost 1000.00 a year on fuel costs!

gas3.bmp

Of course that also means if I plug 25k driving per year into both Series A and Series B - now Series A really kicks my butt...

gas4.bmp

...But - I'll get there a lot faster! LOL! :eek:
  • $2,600! Man, thats 4 mos daycare bill! Also another reason I quit smoking.....now it pays my annual lawn maintenance bills!

• That's sweet Rick! Now how much can I get for the wife and kid? lol

Jay
  • How about some shots of some hot Hudson engines. Those chrome Twin H I have heard about. A 7x engine anyone. My plan is to buy the engine as a gift for the wife.
  • rambos_ride
    theone.bmp
    Spark, Air, Fuel...Just add a nice trinkets to dress it up...simple and effective!
This discussion has been closed.