\'35 t-plane more info on back fire

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
engine newly overhauled, 165 psi compression all the wat across (all cylinders within 5 psi of each other)during assssembly i set the tappets to .010" I and .012" E and after warm up set to .007" I and .009" E new valve springs installed at O/H

Comments

• First, I'd like to suggest you put your additinal remarks under the same original topic, so you don't get too 'spread out' on the Forum. If you start a new topic for each additional remark, people will answer them separately and you'll have to jump around between two or more topics in order to find your answers! (Just hit REPLY and you can add a new message beneath the old one, within your original topic. Or, if you register here, you gain the option to hit EDIT and revise your original topic statement).

That said, I don't have any particular insights into why a Terraplane engine backfires, other than the normal reasons. I would warn you that your engine probably has the original fiber timing gear (unless someone has replaced it with an aluminum one) and they are notorious for having the metal hub break away from the outer gear portion. When this happens (and a local fellow experienced this), the car can sometimes be in time, and sometimes the gears will actually rotate slightly on the hub and cause the car to go out of time. This is a slight possibility, but I'm sure others will offer much better possibilities.
  • Wow! I'd love to know how you got 165 psi compression on that old splasher.
  • 165 PSI????? How much did you shave the head or deck the block to get that? Maybe a valve or valves hit the head and are bent, allowing a backfire? At 165 PSi you're pushing 9 9.5:1 compression, abnormally high in a 3X5 splasher. Kenneth
This discussion has been closed.