what type of trans fluid?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
i need to know what type of trans fluid to put in my 55 hornet. it has teh v8 and an auto transmission. thank you for the help!

Comments

• thank you!
  • Use type "A", Suffix "A" automatic transmission fluid; I acquired mine from Coastal cool.gif
  • confused.gif sorry, I may be wrong on the Dextron. I was thinking of a hydramatic. (I didn't notice 1955 in post)I am not familiar with the ultramatic transmission.
  • 55 uses dexron also
  • Did they have Dexron fluid in the fifties? I thought I read somewhere that a mixture of type "F" and Dexron works more smoothly in the old automatics, particularly HydraMatic. Have any of you heard of this, and what are the proportions of <font color="red"> </font> the two types when they are mixed?
  • Use type "A", Suffix "A" automatic transmission fluid; I acquired mine from Coastal
    cool.gif
  • is there any thing i can just add to what i have? it is just about a quart low. if F or dextron will work, i will be happy.
  • add Dextron or you could add a conditioner like Trans-X
  • I would drain it and fill properly w/Type "A", Suffix "A" automatic transmission fluid; I acquired mine from Coastal. It probably needs changing anyway. This way you know what you have in it; right now you don't know what is in it! cool.gif
  • [ QUOTE ]
    i need to know what type of trans fluid to put in my 55 hornet. it has the v8 and an auto transmission. thank you for the help!

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1955 model Hudsons had two automatic transmission options Hydramatic and Twin Ultramatic. If you do not know what type of transmission your automobile has, raise the car so that you can safely access the ID plate on the transmission. The plate will identify the transmission.

The following is quoted from the 1955 Hudson Automatic Transmission Manual.

Page 4 - Hydra-Matic Drive Fluid

It is important to only use Hydra-Matic Drive Fluid in the Hydra-Matic Transmission. It is an all season fluid, ideal for year-round operation.

I believe Dextron is the modern day replacement for Hydra-Matic fluid, check with your local transmission shop for confirmation.

Page 42 Transmission Fluid

When adding fluid use type "A" automatic transmission fluid which has an AQ-ATF number embossed on the container.

again, I suggest you seek the advice of a knowledgeable transmission shop to qualify a modern equivalent

In either case the manual is quite clear, service the transmission fluid to the full mark when the transmission is warmed.

Good Luck
  • I do NOT believe that Dexron fluid is correct for the Hydra-Matic Transmission.

Again, I would drain it and fill properly w/Type "A", Suffix "A" automatic transmission fluid; I acquired mine from Coastal. It probably needs changing anyway. This way you know what you will have in it; right now you don't know what is in it!

John cool.gif
  • Years ago there were two types of transmission fluid. Type "F" for Ford Motor Company vehicles and Type "A" for the rest. Somewhere along the line Type "F" became Mercron and Type "A" became Dextron (probably a marketing ploy). So everybody that says the Dextron is correct and everybody that recommends Type "A" is also correct as Dexton is Type "A" and visa-versa. Changing the fluid is probably not a bad idea if a new filter and pan gasket are available and the fluid appears dirty and/or burned. However, changing the fluid does not completely get all of the fluid out of the transmission unless the torque converter is pulled and drained and the new "suction transmission fluid changes" simply suction/vacuum the fluid out of the fill tube leaving a dirty filter in place.
This discussion has been closed.