Alternate steering

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hi all, Still looking at which way to go with my next 1941 truck, I still can't bring myself to 'clip' the front end. The only real interference problem I can see for a big block install is the steering box. Has anyone here fitted a big block of any kind into a '41/'47 using the stock front end (yes I apreciate the spring and brake issues which will also be addressed) I'm happy doing a firewall mod. and using if req'd a rear sump oilpan for whatever engine I use. I guess if all being possible my main question is this.- Can anyone suggest a more compact steering box etc that would mate up to the existing centre steer set up or am I talking crap and thinking the impossible.

Ruth&Jerry.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    A few folks have installed a big block Hudson 6s in '41 - '47s!
  • Is the gear box or the center steer a problem? If it is the gear box I use a small rack & pinion out of say a Ford Fiesta. There is a one sided rack for sale now that steers only off one side for about $400.00. What I do is bolt an angle iron to bottom of frame, bolt rack to other angle leg so I can line spline up to column. Get the steering joints off of donnor car to save money. Sometimes its handy to get all steering shafts and column for right size shaft and routing if 2 or 3 joints are needed to get around that big block. Now remove boot on side you aren't using, don't damage, remove or unscrew steering arm from this side. Next I use a piece of round alum and put one end into hole in rack, long enough to ride in housing where arm was, and clamp other to the outer end of old boot to keep the grease in rack. If it is short distance to center steer I have flipped rack and cut off and rewelded housing or lengthened steering arm. If you do this make sure you have a good welder. Look at several racks at salvage yards and try for best fit. Let your mind wander. As Merritt Marks once said, when it was at the factory it was as Hudson wanted it, but it is yours now and you paid for it, so do as you want. I have this modified rack system in my 34 Terraplane on a Bell dropped axle and I'm taking off from Indiana to Knoxville this week and usualy we go a little over the speed limit.

Hope all of this helped,

Glen
  • Glen, would you have any pictures you could post or email me? I'm thinking about putting rack and pinion on my 49 coupe.
  • Jim,When I get back from Knoxville I'll try and get you some shots of how it's in my 34.
  • Glen, I appreciate your reply which sounds like an option I could consider. Yes it's the steering box that may well be the issue.I installed a 302 Ford in my last project ('41 truck again) and that was mighty close to the box so I'm thinking an FE Ford big block will hit. I can work with the centre steer which I actually would like to keep, just didn't want to swap out for a complete rack set up as I personally don't think they look 'period'. Would appreciate some pics when you get time.

Jerry.
This discussion has been closed.