Flywheel removal from crankshaft - 1938 Terraplane

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Fellow needs help getting a flywheel off the crankshaft on a 1938 Terraplane 6. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my post
Hi everyone, my name is Cole. Faith and I are restoring a 1938 Terraplane with a splasher 6 Cyl engine. I pulled the engine and removed the pressure plate but I can't get the Flywheel off of the crank. The flywheel also has
the clutch plate built into it. I pulled the motor because the crank will not turn. I do not see any bolts holding the Flywheel to the crank but I don't feel too good about banging on it. It looks too big for a puller (at
least for any I have seen) and I am not sure how I should proceed. I can't put the engine on my engine stand because the flywheel is in the way. It looks like the crank connects through a spline assy ? I tried yelling at it and that did not help either!
Any Ideas ????

Cole
Cole Galbraith" <cole@compulink-software.com>

Comments

• Hi, Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc. Then unbolt the flywheel from the crank. Pull fly wheel off. May be stuck on with gasket sealer.
    Have fun, ( and find a copy of the Mechanical procedure manual or you will have more headaches)
    Good luck,
    Terraplane advisor
    "Ric"
  • Remove clutch cover bolts (10), and remove the clutch cover and clutch, and you will find the bolts holding the flywheel to the end of the crankshaft. (Crankshaft is shown at left, bolts are near center of flywheel). See photo. (Make it easy on yourself...buy a shop manual from the Club Store!)

FLYWHEEL.jpg
  • Hi Rick. I have already pulled the pressue plate off and the clutch plate looks to be part of the flywheel. There are no bolts to remove, I can see a spline coming through the center shaft but that is about it. I know it sounds crazy but if I send you a pic I bet you will be amazed too... No Bolts to remove and the clutch plate is part of the flywheel... It's a Flat Six splasher
    Thanks
    Cole@compulink-support.com
  • I have already pulled the pressure plate off and the clutch plate looks to be part of the flywheel. There are no bolts to remove, I can see a spline coming through the center shaft but that is about it. I know it sounds crazy but if I send you a pic I bet you will be amazed too... No Bolts to remove and the clutch plate is part of the flywheel... It's a Flat Six splasher. I am buying the book though !
    Thanks
    Cole@compulink-support.com
  • Let me understand this: you have the crankshaft with flywheel (mysteriously attached to one another) and on the back of the flywheel you see the clutch disc (with all the little corks in it) with no apparent means of connection to the flywheel, right? In this case, you have a clutch disc whose corks have become affixed to the flywheel, that's all! Try flooding with a solvent, then carefully separating the plate from the flywheel. If you can ease a thin piece of metal between the corks and the flywheel and gradually work it loose, fine. Or just throw caution to the winds, and chisel it off! (New discs are available from Doug Wildrick).

When the clutch disc comes off, you will see the bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft!
  • Jon,
    That's what I will do when I get home tonight. I know this sounds crazy but I am going to take your word on it as I am reading what I am writing and it looks crazy to me too! I have restored seven 60's Camaros and never had a problem but this.... I was amazed when I remove the pressure plate and saw the clutch plate, it looks like it was tack welded to the flywheel.. No Bolts!!!! ???? I know there is not allot of Rocket Science in doing this but I think it may have been altered. The pressure plate is nice and smooth and the clutch plate still has the cork attacked to it but where I would expect bolts to come through there are only weld marks. That is why I am so confused, I have never seen that before. A picture is worh a thousand words... I am going to take one so you can see how crazy this is. I just wanted to make sure that I was not expecting something that would not be there, but I agree with you that it should be, but it's not...
  • Your clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel. They do this when not used for a long time. I just had to pry the disc loose from the flywheel on my old 47 pickup engine last week. Left about 2/3 of the corks on the wheel. BK. TN.
  • Jon,
    Hoooo Yahaa, you were right and I was.... STUPID. Have to admit that I was not thinking it through. I came home and put the mash on it. Thanks for your patients...
    cole
This discussion has been closed.