Power failure

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Once every six to eight months, I can be riding along in the old 48 Stepdown and it will just shut off. It's like somebody just flipped the switch to the main breaker. It happened just yesterday and I got out, jiggled the battery cable, and it cranked right up. It was those few moments when a couple of old ladies nearly ran into the back of me that scared me. I can guess what the problem is... I'm just blowing off steam.

Comments

• So, why bother to ask the question when you know the answer? (Which is, of course, that old ladies should not be allowed to drive! LOL!)
  • WOULDN'T IT BE A GOOD IDEA TO FIX THE PROBLEM AND NOT BE A TRAFFIC HAZARD?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I assume the problem is that the battery terminal became either loose or corroded. The car had been driving perfectly for weeks. It's not like I was trying to be a target for a bunch of little old ladies. I'm human, I should have checked the terminals more closely. If there is another theory about what went wrong, I'm all ears.
    Jason
  • In addition to the battery cables, check the battery posts themselves. They could have come loose inside the battery. Also, check the wires going to the coil. If they're loose they can cause a shut down. I have had both (bad posts and loose coil wires) happen to me over the years.
  • or that little wire that might have a bare spot on it under the distributer cap
  • Or that little circuit breaker up under the dash.
This discussion has been closed.