Hudson parts lost

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a shop in NY. I had a customer bring me a basket case 39-47 Hudson 6 cyl engine to rebuild. Unfortunately this was started by a different shop. Now I am trying to assemble this thing and I am missing some pieces. Based on the timing cover there must be a plate that bolts to the front of the engine. I have all the cover bolts so the other shop had to take this piece off to disassemble the engine. There is some bad blood between the customer and the other shop and nobody is helping me out. I don’t yet know what else is missing but I can’t even start this project without this plate. I’m looking for anyone that may have this part or even a detailed picture so I can make one myself. Thanks
Joe

Comments

• Not exactly sure what you mean by a 'plate', but could you mean the motor mounting bracket which bolts to the engine block at the front? This would have the two places for the mounting bolt that holds the engine to the frame. I think your best move would be to get in touch with someone who works on Hudsons and/or has a bunch of parts, in your area. Or at least someone who owns a 3x5 6-cylinder engine, so you could look at it. What part of New York are you located in?
  • I have 7x 46&47 engines in the basement (One actually was rebuilt and never installed in the early 50's). It seams (to me at least) that you are describing the front engine mounting plate. If you like I can send you a picture.
    Where in NY are you located?
    Regards,
    Scott
  • I am in upstate NY, Rosendale to be exact. This project arrived to me in a box. It very well may be the front engine mounting plate. I had a customer today that thinks the same thing as his father used to race Hudsons back in the day. This piece must be about .090” thick based on the cam spacing required correct the lifter to cam lobe alignment. Pictures are welcome. I have DSL so file size is not a problem. <tmsjoe@verizon.net>

Thanks guys & gals
  • Ahh, Rosendale, know it well. Last fall I ventured out onto the walkway of the railroad bridge above your town! I'll try to think of someone near you with parts, but in the meantime there is a '46 Super Six 4-door for sale (or it was for sale, a couple years ago) over in Accord. The car is rough but mostly there, and it might make a good parts car for you. He was asking $2,000 but I think you could get it for much less. Name is Tony Jarvis, has an autobody shop on route 209, tel. (845) 626-8630.
  • I know what you are talking about as I just removed one from my flat six. It is not part of the motor mount assy but is a face plate you put on before the crank and cam gear. Let me know if you need a templet
  • Jon_B
    Small world. I know Tony Jarvis. My shop is less than a mile from the train trestle in town. I am actually on the “Wallkill Valley Rail Trail”.

Happy Hudson
    A template would be great. Does the engine mount attach to this plate? I saw a picture of the engine in a book from the rear. Not much help except I now know that is how the front of the engine is supported.

Thanks for all the help guys.
  • 8f1.jpg8f2.jpg

Hope it works this time.

46super6
  • Jon B,
    How can I make these pictures bigger? I tried to put a bigger picture but it may have been too big. 44,000 bytes or so. tmsjoe let me know if you would like more pictures I can e-mail them to you or you can check the msn Hudson board. I downloaded my pictures of my engine there.http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/1946hudson3x5.msnw?Page=Last

46super6
  • Dear 46Super6:

In your MSN 'album' you get a bunch of small 'thumbnail' photos. When you click on any one of them, they expand into larger photos. You can then right-click on them and click on PROPERTIES. The resulting pop-up window will show you the URL of this expanded picture. For example, here is what I got for your first photo, expanded: http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0bQDRAjkjBcqTbR61!4kFeXy*kB82SmX5cUYyWm7uDdQRW0GO!19KewxFB7OK9ogIX54zmB4rumL5*OA94qsnjlco65E0TYFD0*Xvgc3L5WWJEKZBI0y9OJJZ!YFWuAVQUZBRyszFGkkVVI!BDTs5H5avkngxbMG0/hudson%20project%20050.jpg?dc=4675463461911180097 (NOTE: you must highlight the URL in the pop-up box and 'drag' your cursor down, to get the ENTIRE url....otherwise you just get a partial one!)

NOW, having highlighted that URL, you can right-click and COPY it to your computer. Go to the Forum and when you make your posting, click on the word IMAGE and paste this new URL into the box. HOWEVER, you must remove all the gobbledy-gook AFTER the '.jpg' in the URL. So the new URL for the above, will read http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0bQDRAjkjBcqTbR61!4kFeXy*kB82SmX5cUYyWm7uDdQRW0GO!19KewxFB7OK9ogIX54zmB4rumL5*OA94qsnjlco65E0TYFD0*Xvgc3L5WWJEKZBI0y9OJJZ!YFWuAVQUZBRyszFGkkVVI!BDTs5H5avkngxbMG0/hudson%20project%20050.jpg .

NOW, THIS does not guarantee the larger photo will print, but you can run a 'test' (check 'I WANT TO PREVIEW MY POST....' at the bottom of the posting form.)

About half the time, I've been told that the thing won't print! Something about MSN that this Forum thing doesn't like, I guess!

Your best bet is merely to post the URL for your photo album and let the fellow go there himself, and click amongst the thumbnails!
  • Thanks guys. I looked at the pictures you posted and found the parts in my shop. Over the winter one of my employees took a new job and I didn’t know he had put the parts with the wrong engine. I looked right at them weeks ago but never knew it. Last night I was milling a head and the motor plate was right in front of me. One last question. Is there a thrust plate behind the cam gear on this engine? There still needs to be something to space the cam out from the block.
  • You ask, "is there a thrust plate behind the cam gear on this engine?" Although I have never disassembled a 3x5 engine, I see that the shop manual does not show a spacer between the camshaft mounting flange, and the camshaft (timing) gear. These bolt snugly together with three bolts. There is of course a spring plunger that fits into the front of the camshaft and protrudes out the center of the timing gear, and rides against a thick plate on the timing gear cover, if that is what you meant.
  • There is a thrust washer behind the front flange of the camshaft, which must .0625" thickness. Failure to install this mis-aligns the gears and the cam followers with the lobes. Sorry to post as "anonymous, but this forum won't let me log in under my correct name.
    Geoff, N.Z.
This discussion has been closed.