headlight switch needed for 52

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I need a light switch for a 52 hornet. The main one on the dash. thanks contact me jbmiller782@comcast.net

Comments

• HI:

While you are attempting to locate a headlight switch there is an electronic tech trick you can try. The switches in the Hudson are pretty crude by today's standards ... they depend on spring tension to push two contacts together. Both contacts are essentially made up of solder wicked to a contact on a Bakelite base. These switches like the rest of the car are over 50 years old. Some of the switches suffer from cracked Bakelite or worn down contacts and the most likely culprit, leaching out of the greases and waxes contained in old solder. When the contact does this it attracts dirt dust and after a while the switch will become intermittent or fail to operate all together. Manufacturing processes used in the switch allow it to breath in dirt and dust ... this same characteristic can be used to clean the switch ... get some electronic contact spray cleaner from Radio Shack or your electronics hobbyist shop. Spray the switch liberally it will bleed dirty residue. If you have compressed air ... dry it with the air ... repeat several times or until the dirt stream in the contract cleaner exiting the switch subsides. Try the switch... I would suggest this cleaning be done to any switch you discover too.

Good Luck and Happy Hudsoning. cool.gif

Ken Cates
    Waco, Texas
This discussion has been closed.