Dual exhaust

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Anyone know where I could get a dual exhaust manifold for my 1952 Super Wasp?

Comments

• Are you looking for a cast iron maifold or for a header?
    I have an old Snake header off a 308 thats still in good usable cond.
  • For a dual exhaust splitter outlet that connects to a single outlet manifold contact Danny Barrier (931) 796-5194 in Hohenwald, Tn 38462

John cool.gif
  • Thanks for the replies! I'm looking to create dual exhaust where none has existed on my Hudson. I have a 262cid with a single exhaust manifold right now and I don't want to split my current manifold for duals. I know that Uncommon Engineering sells these but man...I can't afford $1100 headers!
  • Hud47,

I'm not sure what you mean by manifold vs. header. I do know that there is a manifold that comes right off of the block that my exhaust connects to...I need the part that comes off of my block...but for two exhaust pipes (I'll have to fab the exhaust system).
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    To quote Jack Clifford, the original cast iron manifold (the bit that bolts to the block) is the most restrictive part of a stepdown's exhaust system. The best bang per buck in horsepower terms for a stepdown is to replace the cast iron manifold with a set of tube headers.
    The 7X dual exhaust adaptors are available. They bolt to the standard manifold in place of the small curved piece your single exhaust system connects to, and from there you can run your dual exhausts.
    The main problem here though is that you are still using the restrictive cast manifold, and if that is still in place it matters little how good your exhaust system is downstream
    As an example of just how restrictive the stock exhaust manifold is, a while ago on my 54 Hornet I replaced the standard cast exhaust manifold with a set of 6 into 2 into 1 tube headers and connected them to the old single exhaust system down near the gearbox. I was able to do before and after dyno tests, and rear wheel horsepower on a not fresh 308 went from 92 to 99 with no other changes to the engine.
    You don't have to buy off the shelf headers, any competent exhaust shop that has an interest in working on older cars can do the job. Mine cost about $500 fitted.
  • Bob Ward,

Thank you for your information! I will need to call around to see if anyone could fab up a set of headers. I suppose anyone with some welding skill and the right tools could do the job. What size was your tube... 1 3/4?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The tubing used on my system is 1 5/8" OD
  • Any change you could post pix of your headers? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • I JUST RECIEVED A NEW SET OF HEADERS FROM CLIFFORD AND THEY ARE OF THE SENGLE OUTLET FOR 280.00 OR YOU CAN GET THE DUEL OUTLET HEADER FOR SAME PRICE.
  • I tried to attach some pictures of the header I mentioned before but they were too large, so I posted them in a new photo album on the Hudson club pictures page. http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/hudsonspeedparts.msnw

The header is Snake manufactured unit sold by Clifford performance years ago. It is still in great shape but we are not running the 308 engine it was on anymore. Also pictured are an aluminum intake and head manufactured by Edmunds. These two pieces are part of a collection of speed parts given to the local Hudson club by Ben Blackburns wife after he died. My dad was the only racer in the club, and a friend of Mr. Blackburn, so the parts were given to him. We are selling some of our old Hudson pieces and figured we would offer them here before selling them on ebay. $500.00 for the set Intake, Head, and Header. email me (harcoequip@yahoo.com) if interested.
This discussion has been closed.