Step Down Rear End Widths

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I just got done having my wife help me measure the rear end width on my '50 Pacemaker. Looks like 50 3/8" inside backing plate to inside backing plate, and 56 3/4" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface (give or take a small amount).

Does this seem to jive with other's measurements?

I have heard nothing regarding the Hudson Dana axle conversion yet (I emailed the Stude guy doing the research, but no response), and am now leaning more towards just getting a custom made Ford 9" (My MII uses the Ford 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern). Here is a website I found on custom built rear ends http://www.9inchfloater.com/index.asp . Take a look and tell me what you guys think. I don't need a racing rear end, but something to handle the SBC I'm running. Currie just seems to be very expensive (around $2,400) and this website seems to have them complete with pumkin for around $1,200 to $1,700. Yes, Currie uses Wildwood disc brakes and they can weld your spring pads exactly how the original is set up (hence a higher cost and you must ship them your original rear end). But I'm thinking more and more about a 4-link set-up w/ airbags, so I don't end up changing it later down the road.

Open for discussion gentlemen................

Thanks.....Jay

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I have an rear end and driveline shop locally that I have had do a lot of work for me in the past.

I plan on getting a Ford 8.8 31 spline with disc brakes (about 200-300) then I am taking that assembly and the original and dropping it off to have the pads moved - axels shortened (probably new) and rebuild the rest as needed.

Probably total costs around 1600 and if it breaks the guy is local - there's something to be said about warranty work on some things!
  • I assume you're having it narrowed? What vehicle and year are you using? Are you going to run an open diff or limited slip? Its an interesting choice.

Jay
  • vmike
    vmike Member
    My 50 Pacemaker has an unmodified 8&3/4 mopar rear axel assembly from a 75,76 B body, I believe. I bought it this way so I only have what I was told to go by. The front clip is a transverse torshenbar suspension from that era. I bought a replacement power steering sector and pump out of a 76 monaco in which the suspension was identical. It will be Saturday before I can measure the width, but I'll crawl under there and post the results next week if it'll help.

mike
  • I have ordered my rearends from http://quickperformance.com/ real good guys with great prices. They sell custom set-ups as well as some used stuff. I just checked and a full custom 9" set-up with alloy axles etc. was only 1329.00 complete to the parking brakes. I bet you could get a stock replacement type 9" for even less. I'd call them and check it out.
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    I assume you're having it narrowed? What vehicle and year are you using? Are you going to run an open diff or limited slip? Its an interesting choice.

Jay
    The housing has to be narrowed and possibly new axel shafts made.

1998 and newer Ford Explorers have the 8.8 with the 31 spline axels.

Posi-all-the-way for me - with the 454 and skinny 235's I need as much rubber on the road under power as possible!

The biggest reason for going with this setup is the disc brakes, 31 spline axels and won't cost as much to re-build as the more popular 9"
  • vmike wrote:
    My 50 Pacemaker has an unmodified 8&3/4 mopar rear axel assembly from a 75,76 B body, I believe. I bought it this way so I only have what I was told to go by. The front clip is a transverse torshenbar suspension from that era. I bought a replacement power steering sector and pump out of a 76 monaco in which the suspension was identical. It will be Saturday before I can measure the width, but I'll crawl under there and post the results next week if it'll help.

mike
    That would be great Mike, thanks!

Dan, how much are they charging you to narrow that 8.8"? Do those discs have the parking brake?

Harco, thanks for the website, I'll call them today.

I'm thinking of going with somewheres around 3.08 to 3.25 gears since its a daily driver and I'll be driving it on long distance trips as well. I want to be able to punch it on the highway once in awhile, but am wanting to keep the mpg around 24-26 (which my vette guy says is possible with 3.08's and the Pace weights about the same as the vette). Its not a dragster, more of a cruiser. What do you guys think about a limited slip? I don't think it should adversely effect gas mileage unless I'm romping on it, what do you think?

Some good info guys, looks like I've got some calls to make!

Jay
  • Jay my Coupe is in the trim shop should be on the road in about a month. I bought a narrowed 9' with discs, 3.50, and posies leaf springs to soften the ride. The tranny is 4L60E. We have not driven it enough to know where we are with any thing, but have experienced bottoming out on the rubber bumpers, with 3' lowering blocks. The stock springs were to stiff and the Posies may be to soft. The disc calipers stick out farther than drum brakes and are an issue on how low you can go. I am not talking real low, I want to show about 2' of wheel, I measured, figured,fumbled, and may not have it where I want it. I let you know as soon as I get to drive it some more. You know it will be difficult to change a tire, probably entails droping the shock and maybe a spring, and I am only running 235's. These old Hudsons are not the easiest to street rod. Barry
  • You should try pulling 31"X13" Slicks out from under one! It was really difficult until we got a lift! I recently sold an 8&3/4 mopar rear we ran in dads 49 before he tubbed it.The rear was 56" hub face to hub face and we ran 29"X9" slicks on a 15"X8" wheel using stock springs with out any issues.
  • Harco, I hope a young dragracer like you stops on the highway and helps me with the tire change. My luck, the help offered will be from an old man like me. Barry
  • rambos_ride
    barry wrote:
    Jay my Coupe is in the trim shop should be on the road in about a month. I bought a narrowed 9' with discs, 3.50, and posies leaf springs to soften the ride. The tranny is 4L60E. We have not driven it enough to know where we are with any thing, but have experienced bottoming out on the rubber bumpers, with 3' lowering blocks. The stock springs were to stiff and the Posies may be to soft. The disc calipers stick out farther than drum brakes and are an issue on how low you can go. I am not talking real low, I want to show about 2' of wheel, I measured, figured,fumbled, and may not have it where I want it. I let you know as soon as I get to drive it some more. You know it will be difficult to change a tire, probably entails droping the shock and maybe a spring, and I am only running 235's. These old Hudsons are not the easiest to street rod. Barry
    I got the tire change figured out...Just have an oboard compressor and let the air outta the tire - In my mind it sounds easy:D
  • Hey guys! What about a C3 Corvette IRS? Supposed to be 59-59.5" WMS to WMS with disc brakes. Anybody try one of these? Do you think the width would work? Just sounds of trick. No donor car yet, so nothing to do but think of oddball stuff!

Jay
  • Sorry Jay. I've got a complete C3 rearend, but I'm using it right now.
  • Wouldn't work unless I could have the axles drilled for a Ford pattern, or run two different wheels, or pay to change my fronts. But I think its a cool set-up! See what happens when you have to much free time!

Nice Vette Wes!

Jay
This discussion has been closed.