Overdrive Question.

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I finally was able to drive my 1949 Hudson and discovered that the overdrive is not working. Have performed all the checks and it appears that the Governor is not closing the contacts at 20 MPH and above. (I did try both terminals just in case I was on the wrong one.) Here are my questions.
1) Does any one know where I could get a Governor?
2) If not since all other parts of the system is working couldn't I just put a switch in that would ground the wire
to the governor to complete the circuit and get overdrive?

Thanks for any input.
Rjahde at EMAIL.com

Comments

• Your answers would be:

1). If this Forum message doesn't produce any offers of a governor, then go through your newsletter classified section (assuming you're in the H-E-T Club!) and look for all the advertisers who seem to sell a lot of Step-Down parts. E-mail, phone or write them (with a stamped, addressed return envelope) asking if they have a governor (be sure to give the size and any numbers stamped on it; there might be more than one type out there, since Hudson had 2-3 generations of overdrives over the years). Also, contact Al Saffrahn in Arizona (he's in the National Roster), he's the Club's overdrive expert and might have a spare governor for sale. As to availability, I saw several governors for sale at our all-Hudson flea market on Sunday, in Carlisle, Pa., so I know the little gizmo's are out there.

2). Yes, indeed you can substitute a dash switch for the governor. Many folks have done this.

I cannot swear to this, but the Hudson shop manual might have a section on overdrive troubleshooting. In that case (and if you don't have one) you can get a manual from the Club Store. Someone will doubtless add a note to this Forum topic, telling whether the manual deals with this.
  • Thanks,

I will look thru the WTN. I have the overdrive manual and
    it only tells how to test the unit. Does not indicate if the unit is serviceable or how to bypass it. Since all the switches for the overdrive are in series and according to all the tests all other components are okay. That is why I considered the toggle switch as a fix.
  • try taking it apart and cleaning it. probably all it needs
  • Not the governor, but the solenoid on my '41 just needing cleaning and the contact points sanded clean. That might do it. Don't know if you can get inside the governor like you can the solenoid, however.
  • yup took mine apart its centrifical needs to spin mine was all gummed up and stuck once i cleaned it worked great
  • I finally took the governor apart and the weights were stuck. Soaked it in penetrating oil and was able to free it up. Cleaned up the contacts with a small points file and made a couple of new gaskets and it works like it should.
    Installed it and overdrive works fine now.

Thanks for all the input.
  • Great when a plan comes together.
This discussion has been closed.