\'52 Wasp pass. door hinge removal/replace question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Howdy folks...have a quick question. Just how in the heck do I remove the lower door hinge without drilling out the screws?! The "pin" in the hinge has rusted thus allowing the door to sag a little. I have a new hinge I'd like to install but the darn screws/bolts are frozen...any suggestions?

Thanks again!!

Comments

• Hi,--- You probably need a spring loaded driver that you hit with a hammer to loosen those screws. It provides counter clockwise torque on the screw with each hit. Hope this helps as I have been there & done that. Cliff Minard.
  • If the Impact driver doesn't work, drill the bolts with a 1/4 inch drill bit. The bolts are 1/4 fine thread just drill deep enough to cause the head to break off. After you get the heads off the bolts, remove the door panel or the kick panel as needed. On my 54, and I assume that a 52 is the same, there is a pocket into which a threaded reciever plate sits. This plate can be removed and the bolts removed by drilling on a drill press. I just made new plates. Before doing all of this I tried the impact driver and huge phillips screwdrivers etc. This is what worked for me. Hope it helps.
    Bob Hickson smile.gif
  • The hinge bolts on 51 pacemaker are 5/16 NF thread. I used a 3/8 drill and just drilled the head out. Used KROIL and the screws just came out. Not able to find new phillips head screws but found allen head that worked fine. BK. TN.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    HI WELL I DID JUST AS STATED I USED KROLL MAN DOES THIS STUFF WORK MY CAR HAD SAT OUT SIDE SENCE 1961 WITH A IMPACT HAMMER TOOL I GOT EVERY SCREW OUT OF THE CAR YES I MEAN EVER ONE !!!WITH OUT BREAKING ONE NOW THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE BEFORE AND AFTER

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/50hudsonpcvrestobaby.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=20

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/50hudsonpcvrestobaby.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1684

GOOD LUCK cool.gif
  • Hi PaulLargetype,
    Didn't I see this Hudson (and you) at Hershey last weekend? Enjoyed looking at the car there, hope all went well with it.
    laugh.gif
  • Just in case, for those who want/need Kroil -
    Kroil Web page - You can order this online!

They have a 'bunch' of other stuff as well. wink.gif
This discussion has been closed.