Chrome Plating Recommendations?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone have some recommendations or experience on businesses to use (or stay away from) for rechroming small parts (ie door handles, emblems...)? I had the bumpers on my 51 Hornet done, but the guy does not do small items.
Any information is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• There are a number of good chrome plating shops around the country. It is always convenient to deal with a plater near you, since then you can take your parts to them for an estimate. Perhaps if you can let us know roughly where you're located, someone in that area can suggest a plating shop he recommends.
  • I used Jon Wrights Custom Chrome Plating in Grafton Ohio.
    Was very pleased with their work. Just be prepared for initial price shock. They offer two plating options High Quality and Show Chrome. The difference is that on the show chrome it will be perfect. I opted for the High Quality and was not disappointed. I could see no visable defects in their workmanship. They even do pot metal well.
  • Not sure what part of the country you live in, but in the Memphis Area, STAY AWAY from Memphis plating. If they tell you 2 months, that means maybe six. By the time you finally get your stuff (if you don't get mad and just take your stuff back)it won't be as nice as you expected.
    Buyer Beware!
  • Dans polishing shop, Adamsville, TN. has plated and polished the stuff for several Hudsons in the MidSouth chapter. From the buttons on the vent windows to grills bumpers and pot metal pieces. BK.TN
  • Thanks for all the info. I am located in South Dakota and have not been able to find anyone within a days drive (as I would prefer to deal directly rather than over the phone). My father spends the winters in the Phoenix Arizona area and may find something in that area. Thanks again!!!
  • I used Advanced Plating out of TN and I'm very happy with the results on my '52 Wasp taillight housings which are pot metal. They took about 4 months, but I sent them in during their peak season.
  • I'm also looking for a chrome plater for a Ford bumper.I'd like to find a good plater in the Harrisburg,Pa. or Maryland area.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ramblerman, one question you need to ask before you go too far is, what is the quality desired on your plating? Many platers offer a regular and 'show chrome' quality (with corresponding price difference!) and generally, platers have a reputation for what they turn out. So if you just want something that looks good but won't win any awards, there are plenty of places to get a decent job at a decent price, but you wouldn't want to go to a 'Tiffany' company to have it done. Also, be very careful... the same place that does a darned good job straightening your steel bumper and plating it, may absolutely ruin your pot metal door handle. Pot metal (white metal) takes a real knack to work with and you would be well advised to talk to one or two people who have had experience with a particular plater, than to just jump in, sight unseen.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Re Plater in Harrisburg or Maryland. I live in MD and I use Labrandi's in Harrisburgh. Price is high but work is great... you get whay you pay for
  • SIL can sell you NOS door handles for 45.00 each, why pay to ship both ways, dissassemble and replate and then take the chance. Bill Albrights Vintage Coach, 16593 arrow Bl, Fontana, Ca 92335
  • I cannot recommend Dans polishing shop, Adamsville, TN. as the headlight bezels on my '54 Hornet Special came back pitted; not pleased with the work at all. This was a couple years ago.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Dan's did everything on my car and I am very pleased with his work. The only thing that came back pitted was the face of the tissue dispenser and Dan told me that it would be pitted after plating but I went ahead with it anyway. The instrument guage cluster bubbled after about a year and he replated it at no charge and it's held up ever since. Those are the only problems that I have had with Dan's and I couldn't really call them problems as I knew about the pitting beforehand and the cluster was redone with no questions asked. He even did a couple of knobs that we had overlooked at no charge.
This discussion has been closed.