Grill Ideas?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hey, heres a thought guys.

A car restorer friend of mine suggested using a grill surround from a '55 Bel Air to go around the '55 Olds grill insert.

I could form a rectangle with rounded ends (from tubing) to go around the Olds insert and mold into the front.

Or, what if I bought the front end from a '51 Pacemaker and used it (it would be on a '50 car though).

No comments on the '50 grill......I hate it and its going! And the headlights are getting frenched and its going to get shaved.

Any thoughts guys?

Jay

P.S. I have too much free time and can't work on my donor car yet! But I also like to keep our group threads going, helps to keep our minds going with new ideas!

Comments

• hornet53
    hornet53 Senior Contributor
    I've always been curious to see if a '46-'47 hudson grill would fit in a stepdown.
  • Seems to me the front end of a stepdown hudson is the toughest point to customize. You see a lot of them that look bad or unfinished. I think what I would do is either use a 48-9 front end, plain, or like you said, look for a 51 front end. you could even get a front clip from a 51-2 short wheelbase car, hood, fenders, grille, and swap it all, and be done. I think the front grille attachments are different for 50 versus everything else, and pacemaker is even different still.

Removing the V's isn't a good option either, took mine out, and promptly put them back. Looked "odd"

If you go with the olds center, The problem I see with a lot of custom hudsons is that there needs to be some kind of "chrome" surround, or they look funny. It isn't like a 49-51 merc, that seems to be closed more, and ready to accept whatever. I'll have to go thru my pictures of Kustom Hudsons, and maybe post a few to illustrate what I mean...
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    If you like the 51 front end use it and keep it Hudson. I know...I know...I'm putting non-Hudson parts into my car - but the outside will be noteably and noticeably Hudson (whats left anyway...I'm shaving but not everything...)

Personally I have never liked transplanting body parts from one brand to another - If I wanted the look of a Buick, Olds <insert whatever here> I would have bought one.

I consider myself to be a car builder - I'm no designer, for sure. But other than the body styling the Hudson grille (and hood ornament) are unique for their era and to the cars - and the design fits the car.

I actually like the look of your 50 grille - sans the triangle. But, I've never seen one up close though so I wouldnt really have a good idea on tweaking or filling in around one that was removed.
  • try an Edsel grille , or how about one from a 56 dodge? I like my 49 grille and its staying.
  • I'm attaching a picture of a grille that I think looks really cool in a hudson
  • Its very cool, bill. Desoto teeth, right? I still carry that as an option, but still want to see if I can do something with my '55 Olds insert.
This discussion has been closed.