54 RADIATOR (Wasp) recore from 3 to 4 rows, depth

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
1954 Hudson Wasp/Hornet radiator rebuild question: I am told by the radiator shop that to go from the original 3-core radiator to a 4-core high efficiency may increase the core thickness from 1 7/8" to ~ 2 1/2" or less. This increase in thickness will be physically felt and seen as using more of the upper and lower tanks. i.e., it'll move/expand toward's the grill in thickness. Does anyone know of any potential fitting problem (s) with this proposal to rebuild/change from 3- to 4-rows? I do intend to add A/C also, my reason for adding an extra row. cool.gif

Comments

• I PUT AN EXTRA ROW IN MY "53" HORNET AND HAD NO PROBLEM PUTTING IT BACK IN
  • Same here on my '54 Hornet.
  • Not a problem with my 54 Hornet. I did add a pusher fan (12 volt) and had to cut the center gril back to fit. Keeps the engine real cool on a hot day. Almost, a must do, without overheating the engine. Put insulating pipe foam around side of radiator to keep ALL the air going through the raditor. Any openings around will allow to much air to by-pass the radiator. Most moderen cars maximize this idea to improve cooling. Best of Luck and keep us posted on your progress... Richs. Central Ca. Chapter
This discussion has been closed.