50 Commodore 254 valve seat question

kamzack
kamzack Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Fianlly got around to pulling valves out of the 254 today and upon looking more closely at the deck surface in the area of #'s 6&7,which were dead, I'm seeing part of the problem. On #7 between the the seats there are pits,one has eaten into exhaust seat. On #6 there pits on deck surface between cyclinder and seats, not real dramatic but I'm concerned about fuel and gas flow being inhibited maybe causing a weaker or less powerful cyclinder. The car is a 54k original,#'s matching and ran great on 6 cyclinders. The tops of the pistons wiped clean with very little effort and cycls. have no ring groove. I just had to run it up and down the road after getting it home and awakening it from its 12 year sleep before I tore it down. I'm also trying to avoid pulling the engine out and found a fellow over at Jack Miller's place willing to dress seats in the car.That's the way they were done way back when.No one in my area has the old type grinder to dress the seats. A friend builds race engines and said if I pull it out and remove pan and crank he'd put block in his bridgeport. Bottom end is tight and I don't want to disturb it by taking it apart just to dress seats. I also realize that I'd be cutting harder material out of seats to put stelite seats in. I'm anxious to get it on the road and debugged before Kearney.(that is if the Lord blesses me with means to go) So I'm calling on any and all 8 cyclinder wizards out there. I also listened to 3 eights run at the orphan show in Ypsilanti, man I thought a Stude V8 had a rumble,I believe the Hud. 8 has it beat, so I'm anxious to get it going again. By the way I probably had the roughest Hudson at the show,but at least I have one and am no longer a spectator looking, wishing and drooling over the stepddowns. My first Hud nats was in Orlando just a few months after I aquired my 49 Commodore. I thank you in advance and am on the edge of my seat for a miracle fix.

Kim Kramer

hudsonbaker@myexcel.com
This discussion has been closed.