Clutch Alignment Tool

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
This winter I'm putting a different transmission in my '49 Super Six (overdrive), and I'm planning ahead for a clutch alignment tool. I know it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to getting things all lined up properly. Unfortunately, being a rookie to the Hudson world, I don't have any old mainshafts from a Hudson, nor would I want to tear apart any of the complete transmissions at my disposal. Are there any other car makes that has the same size main shaft that I could use? Would a Ford, Chevy, etc. shaft work for this?

I'm sure some of you Hudson veterans have an answer for me.

Thanks,
Doug

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    There are some universal clutch alignment tools out there ... check with NAPA, Advance Auto or AutoZone for a "loaner." Otherwise, if you're in the club, maybe another member near you has one.
  • how about taking the front shaft out of your old tranny and using it. you get the experience of dismantling your old tranny and get a perfect alignment tool for free.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    And don't forget to screw a pair of 5" long studs (7/16") into the top 2 holes of the engine so you can slide the gearbox in and out without ruining your clutch seal
  • I've changed a bunch of these things and never used an alignment tool yet. You can center the clutch disk by eyeball within a few thousandths of an inch using the pilot bearing as a guide. If the input shaft won't go all the way into the pilot bearing after it's in the disc, just release the clutch slightly.
This discussion has been closed.