This forum drives me crazy

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
For the last 6 months I have not been able to participate in this forum, so when I saw that a new forum was created I was quick to register. I registered my username and everything seemed fine. Today when I logged in, the site recognized me and my username but when I go to the Hudson forum page to post something it says that I am not logged in. Thats what the old forum used to do. I have used up all of my e-mail addresses so I can't create anymore usernames. At least in this forum I can post anonymously. I'm going outside to work on my Hudson until I feel better! LOL!

46super6

Comments

• Yeah, we fixed the problem...it was a FRAMES problem. crazy.gif
  • What a pain finnally got here but it took about 20 steps!!! just clicking on a subject will not open the site. i have to right click and open a new window.
  • this shows me as not logged in. every time i log in and come to post it shows me as logged out. what is going on???
  • If you have set the security on your web borwser not to allow cookies or if you are using Norton security on your computer, it will not allow us to send the auto logon cookie. Also, you must select the auto logon option in our user control panel to auto logon. Most logon issues are bowser security problems and most people are not aware of it. wink.gif
  • [ QUOTE ]
    If you have set the security on your web borwser not to allow cookies or if you are using Norton security on your computer, it will not allow us to send the auto logon cookie. Also, you must select the auto logon option in our user control panel to auto logon. Most logon issues are bowser security problems and most people are not aware of it. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Welch:
    As much as I feel you are doing a service to the old car hobby especially the HET crowd... your response quoted above is without exception a massive mystery to me. I am in the business of doing business on the Web... one principle point of delivery is to make sure the product is compatible with as many of the expected customers as possible. Your comment about NORTON and the need to plant a cookie is a the heart of your lack of sensitivity to the audience you serve..... these specific exceptions to membership are no where to be found on your otherwise well planned BBS... why? For the first time I am now aware of why I have not been able to successfully create a log in. OK by me as I am not in the habit nor will I start automaticly accepting cookies... so when I am prompted to respond to the needs of one of the great HET community, I will continue to be annonomous and as well as go around your filter in the manner I already have to use my desired name to post. Once again I will tell you that this lack of information posting has at the very least caused me to be less enthusiastic about your methods... you are biting the hand that has made you successful... the majority of the traffic you see on this site was begun and continues to be created by the HET Crowd... One last thing... your POP UP and SPAM filters are not working very well.. there are several servers that are replacing the posting with a URL for a SPAM ad.... so much for progress.....

My two cents

Ken Cates
    aka Heart Of Texas
    Posting from Waco Texas confused.gif
    53HAUL.gif
  • Sorry I not going to disable my Norton anti virus for this!!!
  • I have the Norton Anti-virus enabled and have no trouble getting into the forums. I don't know why others are having problems. Did have to accept the cookie to register, haven't tried to cut the cookies off now that I am registered. may try that later....... wink.gif
  • Hmmm, I got in easily. Mebbie they didn't see me comin.
  • I also have Norton Antivirus as part of my defences as well as a another brand on our work mail server.
    I have no problems in logging on, I just need to become acustomed to the different layout. I have not received any spam that I could attribute to thes forum or site.
    Thank you for your work in establishing & maintaining this site.

David young -- New Zealand
  • i dunno i have to right click in new window to look ..sumtin wong sumwerr
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    OK, Let's talk about a few things here. 1st Classic Car did not create this package (I’m sure). They bought a COTS system. So, the supposed Norton problems are with the communication between the software providers, both of them. While these things are unfortunate, they are far too commonplace in the IT industry. They have a way of being worked out. Customers, such CC will talk to the software provider and express our concerns. This too is normal in the IT world. Other then unknowingly buying a product with bugs, CC has no responsibility in the Norton problems.

Now, let's talk about cookies. Some people believe that all cookies are bad. In fact most of them are good. But if you are worried, you can set your cookie security to warn you of a cookie attempt and make the decision as to accept or decline the cookie. This decision can saved so as to not further bother you. So, when you see something that does not work you can re-load, accept the cookie and try again.

In addition you can go remove any cookie which is stored on your system. This is a good thing to do as it will speed up you access time on you hard drive.

You can also get freeware software which will detect and eliminate cookies or spy ware. Try http://www.webroot.com

Where this idea came from that cookies are evil is beyond me. They are not the virus transmitter they were once perceived to be. Do you know that when you ask your computer to remember a user name and password you develop a sort of internal cookie. Most cookies are used to track data and temporally retain information about your session. Cookies come in 3 flavors, temporary, durable and expires at a certain time. The only one to show any kind of concern over would be the durable type, consequently most Web-Developers don’t use them . Professionally, I have deployed hundreds of cookies, none of them has ever infected any computer…..I don’t think you would like it too much if I did.

But the choice is yours, either tweak your system so it will do what you want it to do or deprive yourself of the pleasure you crave.
  • I have never had to change any of my setting for Norton or to accept or not accept cookies for any of the other boards I am a member of. Thats too much trouble for me. I dont see why I can't log on and post with no problems. MSN and Yahoo groups work fine for me without changing a thing. The weird thing is I am able to log in. But as soon as I switch screens or try to post I am told that I am not logged on. I guess I will remain anonymous.

46super6
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Something which you should be concerned over is spyware. They are the things which keep track of your web-activity, look up the history on your computer and are an intrusion into your private life. They also can tell telemarketers when you are home and on the computer, They can also record what software you are running so that merchandisers know what advertisements to send you. They can be used to look up all the email addresses you use to receive mail...you name it, they can do it. Having cookies restricted will not eliminate this type of intrusion in your life. Check out any of the spyware detection software sites for more information. This is a REAL problem
  • Alright, I finally made it.
    If you're using windows go to Tools/ Internet Options/ Privacy. Where it says "website" to override cookie handling........, click Edit. Then scroll down to classiccar.com, if it says always block then right click and choose allow, then OK. If there is no Classiccar.com,
    then type in httP;;/www.classiccar.com then click "allow"
    That will only allow cookies from that site. It worked for me
    GaryB
  • It’s always good to here from the “experts” on these issues, since they are so well informed. The biggest problem is that most people do not know what the whole story is or bother to find out about an issue before commenting on it.

If you read my earlier post, I stated that Norton Security could be part of the problem that this ONE person was having. Note that I said Norton Security, not Norton Anti-Virus. Some people, including myself, run Norton Internet Security on their computers. The default settings of this product does not allow for interactive communication with HTML pages. You can adjust the “firewall” settings to allow safe communications with sites like ClassicCar.com. Also, Earthlink and a few other ISP‘s(Internet Service Provider) provide “firewalls” that guard against everything…good and bad.

A cookie, if accepted – but NOT required, would allow for the automatic logon when returning to the forums. If you are the type of person that would have a heart-attack if a cookie found its way onto your computer, then feel comfortable knowing that one is not required to be on the forums. But, you will have to login every time you visit the forums. I just looked and I have about 120 cookies on my computer, some are several years old….and I am still alive and well, virus and spyware free. So, don’t buy into the fear-factor out there about cookies. If you have the temperance of an Ostridge, then feel free to disregard my previous comments.

We now require all readers to register with a valid email address and then to confirm they have used a valid email address by using the one-time access code we send them in the confirmation email. If you are registering with a bogus or incorrect email address, you are not getting the email confirmation code, thus you will never be able to logon or post under your name. You must confirm your email address. We do NOT sell or use your email address for any other purpose but to inform you of issues that pertain to the Forums and even then, that’s a rare event.

Today’s Internet climate makes it a necessity for ClassicCar.com to require this level of security. In the past, we have tried to allow posting without registration and the wacko hackers and spam attackers have had a field day with our databases. We want our readers to know their privacy information is safe and they will not have to worry whether or not our services are secure.

In the end, you the reader have to decide whether you take part in this forum or not. ClassicCar.com has done its part, at no cost to you, by building and provided a place for automotive enthusiast to meet and discuss the topics of the day. We have done our best with the resources available to us to provide this service; we can’t do anymore than that.
  • My, my, aren't we testy.
  • [ QUOTE ]
    It’s always good to here from the “experts” on these issues, since they are so well informed. The biggest problem is that most people do not know what the whole story is or bother to find out about an issue before commenting on it.

If you read my earlier post, I stated that Norton Security could be part of the problem that this ONE person was having. Note that I said Norton Security, not Norton Anti-Virus. Some people, including myself, run Norton Internet Security on their computers. The default settings of this product does not allow for interactive communication with HTML pages. You can adjust the “firewall” settings to allow safe communications with sites like ClassicCar.com. Also, Earthlink and a few other ISP‘s(Internet Service Provider) provide “firewalls” that guard against everything…good and bad.

A cookie, if accepted – but NOT required, would allow for the automatic logon when returning to the forums. If you are the type of person that would have a heart-attack if a cookie found its way onto your computer, then feel comfortable knowing that one is not required to be on the forums. But, you will have to login every time you visit the forums. I just looked and I have about 120 cookies on my computer, some are several years old….and I am still alive and well, virus and spyware free. So, don’t buy into the fear-factor out there about cookies. If you have the temperance of an Ostridge, then feel free to disregard my previous comments.

We now require all readers to register with a valid email address and then to confirm they have used a valid email address by using the one-time access code we send them in the confirmation email. If you are registering with a bogus or incorrect email address, you are not getting the email confirmation code, thus you will never be able to logon or post under your name. You must confirm your email address. We do NOT sell or use your email address for any other purpose but to inform you of issues that pertain to the Forums and even then, that’s a rare event.

Today’s Internet climate makes it a necessity for ClassicCar.com to require this level of security. In the past, we have tried to allow posting without registration and the wacko hackers and spam attackers have had a field day with our databases. We want our readers to know their privacy information is safe and they will not have to worry whether or not our services are secure.

In the end, you the reader have to decide whether you take part in this forum or not. ClassicCar.com has done its part, at no cost to you, by building and provided a place for automotive enthusiast to meet and discuss the topics of the day. We have done our best with the resources available to us to provide this service; we can’t do anymore than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the reply.

The tone and the content of that reply reinforce my convictions. Quoteing "expert" is the key to who you are... and that is OK... you have set the tone for how you have chosen to support the clients you seek. The choice you have made is obvious, I am in charge you are not and I alone will keep the hackers at bay for Ted. As for the other comments... well when the reality of what truely can be done on the net comes home to roost... those folks will sense something amiss and have to guess... what that heck happened.

As for the comments about software and cookies... that is the expeience of the poster... when and if the less civil amoung our INTERNET village want to know what is going on in any cpu connected to the NET ... they can do so with little training and free online tools. Cookies make the task easier...while the virus snifing programs just cause the user to stop and evaluate if the time needed to go around is worth the bother... implementation of auto responders that do not violate the sniffer's conventions takes time... unfortunately too much for the " vendor" used to create that function here. BTW... did my own investigating... your auto reponder DOES NOT WORK with valid email addresses all the time... hence the reason for the original post... check your code... and if you are careful.. you will observe what I am telling you. But, that no longer matters... as your post has changed me from a questioning user into a soon to be gone non user.

Guess I got back on the apple crate... soap box to the younger slicker folk.... thanks for the opportunity...to vent abit... gotta go.

Ken Cates
    Heart Of Texas
    53HAUL.gif
    frown.gif
This discussion has been closed.