Body technical drawings for \'52 Pacemaker?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi everybody, and greetings from Finland! Still no snow here at the Arctic Circle... a bit depressing grin.gif

I have been searching the web for good technical drawings of the body of '52 4 door Hudsons for my project, but have found none. I bought the Hudson body service manual, and it has the frame drawings which I am using to model the car in 3d with cad programs (thanks Tom, if You're reading this). However, the manual hasn't got any good pictures of the full body, and I was wondering if any other manual would have them, as they would come in handy... I don't even have the possibility to go and take pictures, as these cars are so rare in here!

So, any help in this project would be appreciated, perhaps info if these drawings are available on some manual I could purchase, or whether somebody could scan them for me?

Thanks, and happy Hudsoning!

Hannu Lesonen

Comments

• Regarding the nearness of a 1952 Hudson for measurements, were you aware of the Svenska Hudsonklubben? Their webpage seems to indicate the presence of several postwar cars in Sweden. http://www.autosite.se/hudson/pix1950.htm If, in the end, you are forced to find a Hudson to measure, at least you won't have to fly all the way to America!
  • Yes Jon, I have noticed the Swedish club, but none of the emails I have sent them have been replied... frown.gif Maybe the pages are a bit out of date?

Well, we do have some Hudsons here too, but I was mostly hoping for the drawings to be available on some manual, but I guess by Your reply there aren't any? They wouldn't have to have measurements, just good (non perspective) views of side, top, front, end... But, if they don't exist, then I'll have to do it by digital photography. A bit more complicated, but on the other hand, more interesting! grin.gif

Thanks,

Hannu
  • Perhaps if you could ask for specific measurements, our members can post them for you here at the Forum. If you wish to upload photographs the the desired measurements superimposed on them in ink, you can do that at our Hudson photo album site: http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/_whatsnew.msnw

I am sorry to hear that the Swedish Hudson Club website has become inactive.
  • You might try Bjarne Skarp of the Svenska Hudsonklubben. I e-mailed him recently and he would be happy to try to help you. HETbjarne.skarp@swipnet.se (remove the HET before sending)
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Hi everybody, and greetings from Finland! Still no snow here at the Arctic Circle... a bit depressing grin.gif

I have been searching the web for good technical drawings of the body of '52 4 door Hudsons for my project, but have found none. I bought the Hudson body service manual, and it has the frame drawings which I am using to model the car in 3d with cad programs (thanks Tom, if You're reading this). However, the manual hasn't got any good pictures of the full body, and I was wondering if any other manual would have them, as they would come in handy... I don't even have the possibility to go and take pictures, as these cars are so rare in here!

So, any help in this project would be appreciated, perhaps info if these drawings are available on some manual I could purchase, or whether somebody could scan them for me?

Thanks, and happy Hudsoning!

Hannu Lesonen

[/ QUOTE ]

Hannu:

The drawings you seek are not in the public sector. If there is any information available there are a few informed sources I would contact. Mr. Jack Miller of Yipsilanti Michigan runs an independent museum based on the Orphan auto makers. His true love is Hudsons. For many years Jack has strived to save the history of the Hudson automobile. I would start my quest with Jack. In addition to Jack the Hudson Historical Society has made its charter the preservation of the truth of Hudson. While I know nothing of the specifics of this group, it would serve you well to find their contact information on the HET website and contact their historian. Another very knowledgeable man who does true automotive research is Mr. D. J. Kava of Texas. He too is listed on the HET website... U will have to survey the membership listings to find his contact information. DJ is has made many pilgrimages to the Denver automotive museums and interviewed and researched the holdings of many Hudson folk associated with the production of the Hudson automobile. I would find it very hard to imagine that among these three you would not find an end to your search.

From a practical point of view: All stepdowns are the same size from the front door to the end of the rear quarterpanels. This generalization has the following caveats.

All 4 door body panels from 48-53 are basically the same
    All 2 door body panels from 48-53 are basically the same.
    The front sheet metal from any short hood car... PACEMAKER or Wasp is interchangeable 48-53. The ornamentation is different and the openings to match grills changes but the overall dimensions are very much the same. If you have someone carefully put a seamstress tape on the side of a Hudson and take digital pictures that should allow you to scale any Hudson picture whose perspective is known.

Good luck on your search and Happy Hudsoning in the northern reaches of our planet!

Ken Cates
    Waco, Texas
    53HAUL.gif
    Ken Cates' STEPDOWN RESTORATION PAGES cool.gif
  • Just a little bit off the topic, but are the hoods for a 52 and for a 53 hornet identical (with the exception of the hood ornament). I am wondering because my 53 has some rust damage but my 52 is in great shape. I would like to use the 52 hood on my 53 if possible.
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Just a little bit off the topic, but are the hoods for a 52 and for a 53 hornet identical (with the exception of the hood ornament). I am wondering because my 53 has some rust damage but my 52 is in great shape. I would like to use the 52 hood on my 53 if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hoods for the short wheel base or long wheel base are the same for 52 or 53 with the exception of the hood ornament trim. The SUPER WASP and HORNETS for 53 will have holes for mounting the fake hood scoop, while the 52 has the two holes at the center front for mounting the Cows tongue (52 Pacemaker)or the Inverted V hood ornament used on the other cars. Keeping the hood ornament or filling the holes is a personal decision.

Good Luck
    Ken Cates
    Waco Texas smile.gif
  • Thanks Jon_B and Ken for the info, I'll start contacting the Swedish club for a chance of a digital photography session, and the people Ken mentioned for any info on those blueprints.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to make a real digital model of the stepdowns for everyone to use for measurements, printing drawings and so on? That's what I had in mind... The modeling of my year's frame is already under progress!

Cheers,

Hannu Lesonen
This discussion has been closed.