\'54 HUDSON FUEL PUMP

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Two questions:
1. Any problem using an AC fuel pump for the '48-53 on the '54 Hornet? The number on the pump is hard to read but is a rebuilt pump with numbers something like 591308 or 593108....
2. If you hold the pump arm in a vice and "activate" the pump by hand, what vacuum reading would one expect to see? The book indicates the fuel pump on the car should produce 10-12" Hg at 500 RPM. I think I have a bad fuel pump and when I performed the test in the vice, I got just 4-5" Hg. I tried the rebuilt pump and got the same reading.

Comments

• 539108 is the part number on the boxed '48-'53 pump which also has AC on it.
  • Hi,
    I am not a mechanic, but recently purchased a 1953 Hudson Hornet that (Rudy Bennett) a fine genetleman and mechanic rebuilt excellent '54 Hornet engine using a AMC-4" 3120S Carter fuel pump, I may add the engine is a 12v system, I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Ray
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Hi,
    I am not a mechanic, but recently purchased a 1953 Hudson Hornet that (Rudy Bennett) a fine genetleman and mechanic rebuilt excellent '54 Hornet engine using a AMC-4" 3120S Carter fuel pump, I may add the engine is a 12 volt system, I hope this helps. Sorry for incorrect information in ealrier post, AMC fuel pump was used in 1956 308 engine block.

Good Luck,

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]
  • You didn't mention if this pump was recently manufactured, of if it's been sitting on the shelf for a number of years. Even if it were to actually fit the Hudson, I'd be a bit wary about using it, if it's older stock. The gaskets dry out. And the newer rebuilt pumps have gasket materials that are more resistant to some of the newer fuels, than the gaskets were many years ago.

If this AC pump is old, I'd recommend the AMC pump (assuming it's fairly new) or a recently rebuilt pump from someone like Dave Kostansek. A bad 'bargain' pump may be no bargain if you end up stalled far from home!
  • RE: AC Fuel Pump - As I mentioned I purchased this magnificent 1956 308 engine rebuilt with AC single action fuel pump installed this January. Don't know the age of pump, gaskets don't leak and look the same as double action pump used on Hudson for vacuum required for wiper's, my car has electric wiper's. I flew from Las Vegas to El Paso and drove 900 miles - 15 hours of fun trouble free drving.
    With my past Hudson's, I've have purchased several pumps and asssorted parts from Dave K., who offer's excellent parts and service; if and when I need I'll purchase from him again. Rudy Bennett rebuild this engine (I'm not capable; don't know other's who are) and his configuation and parts used work great, resulting in me driving this Hornet almost every day. Hope information is useful?

Ray
  • Well, as it turns out it would appear the mechanical pump on the car is ok, but the backup electric pump somehow was restricting the fuel flow. I disassmebled it and all the rubber was in excellent shape, but the metal ring surrounding the moving bellows, appeared to have been hitting the inside of the pump body. Then in troubleshooting all this, it turns out a brand new 5' long 5/16" fuel line was plugged with "something" we could not identify. Original pump is back on the car and performing as expected. From this I can only assume then that if you place the pump arm in a vice, and activate the pump and it reads 4-5" Hg. on a gauggem then the pumping portion of he pump must be good.
  • There the anonymous went again; I logged in but it stayed anonymous. Got it this time.
  • RE: Sending message, I experienced same problem, now I try and sign on before transmitting e-mail.

RE: Fuel pump, I'm happy to learn you resolved problem. On my '54 Hornet, same thing happened, when the hauler put my car on his rig it was the last one on, with angle/degree some dirt from the bottom of the tank must have clogged the rear fuel filter. When I tried to start, (car has 2 filter's one in front and other behind electric fuel pump located in rear of car) rear one closest to gas tank was blocked after changing, car starts like a new.

Ray
This discussion has been closed.