54 262-motor; color of the oil filler tube & cap??

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
The motor is painted "Ford Red" and correct; but, should the oil filler tube be 'black' or 'Ford Red' also?

What about the breather cap?

THANKS. confused.gifconfused.gif

Comments

• John most of the filters were Fram and painted the fram orange with black cap and mounting bracket. BK. smile.gif
  • My engine doesn't have the original-type oil filter cannister located on the driver's side. I'm asking about the oil filler tube with removable oil breather cap (color (s) of each as from the factory).

THANKS

John
  • John,--- red oil filler tube & black cap. This information from my low mileage original 54 Hornet. Cliff Minard.
  • Thanks, Cliff; just as I suspected. Have you seen a Hudson engine where anyone has modified the filler tube to accept a screw-on cap with O-ring? What I ultimately am working towards is to: 1) seal the oil filler tube (prevents upper portion of escaping crankcase fumes into the engine compartment) with a screw-on type of cap w/O-ring seal; plus, 2) capture the/all other crankcase fumes via the vent tube from the rear valve-adjustment galley, divert them through a PCV and route them to a "T"-divider between the air breather's and then into the breather's/filter's/carb's. This way the engine has a "closed system" and the unburned fumes are recycled back into the engine to be burned rather than into my lungs, as some of those fumes will surely and inevitably make their way into the passenger compartment. Plus, it helps the environment and gas mileage too -- just a thought or two.

John grin.gif
  • No, I have not seen this modification before, but I feel sure it has been done by someone. It certainly is a good idea. Cliff Minard.
  • Cliff, one other question; I was attempting to clean a grimy set of valves-access covers (future vat-job for a local engine shop, I suppose, as it's turning into a big/impossible job with Gunk and toothbrush) and noticed that they are painted black (under the red paint).
    Are your originally-painted covers red or black?
    THANKS,

John crazy.gif
  • Good Morning John,--- Mine are red on my 54 Hornet. Hudsonly,---Cliff. smile.gif
  • Thanks, Cliff; decided to seal the oil filler tube breather (external holes); then route the fumes from the pas side (valves breather tube to a "T" at will lead underneath the breather's and enter inside the filter's, thus avoiding the PCV - Option 1. This will be an initial test. Later on I may route it thru a PCV valve and then to the vaccuum tube (intake), and monitor closely the oil consumption change, if any. If it becomes a problem I can quickly reverse it.

John
This discussion has been closed.