Wheels Something to Think About...

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
A friend of mine showed me an article on these wheels and it got me thinking about aluminum wheels on the hudson to save some weight -

Q, Has anyone run an aluminum wheel within the confines of having the skirts on and without other significant mods? If so what type of wheel was it?

But...wouldnt these look cool with a Moon Disc Center? :D and just a little icing on the cake...17.5 lbs each :eek: AMAZING! Add some carbon fibre disc brakes - then really see what the Hudson could do!
"The Dymag carbon/magnesium wheels have nearly half as much rotational inertia as forged aluminum wheels," says company founder Warren Mosler. "And, of course, pursuant to our imperative for total performance, the large savings in unsprung weight improves handling and ride qualities as well as our already extreme acceleration, braking and cornering."

CarbonMag.BMP

Comments

• A friend of mine showed me an article on these wheels and it got me thinking about aluminum wheels on the hudson to save some weight -

Q, Has anyone run an aluminum wheel within the confines of having the skirts on and without other significant mods? If so what type of wheel was it?

But...wouldnt these look cool with a Moon Disc Center? :D and just a little icing on the cake...17.5 lbs each :eek: AMAZING! Add some carbon fibre disc brakes - then really see what the Hudson could do!

CarbonMag.BMP
    hudson 308 designed some for colorado custom and has a set on his 49 hudson, look real nice.
  • Dan, I have not seen anything like these wheels on a stepdown but, at the Central Regional in Sheffield, Alabama there was a stepdown with a set of the Crager S/S style wheels. I know that Crager doesn't make them anymore, ( I think they sold out to US Wheel ) But that name brings the right style to mind. I intend to run Chrome rims with baby moon hubcaps on my coupe but I am leaning towards putting a set of the Crager S/S style on my sedan. I also like the lookof the old Indy style flat spoke mags, but have not seen any in a long time.
    Bob:cool:
  • throw some steelies on there paint em red toss a mexican blanket on the seat and your ready to go in my book LOL.:D
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hudson308 wrote:
    Putting "mags" of any kind on a stepdown can be problematic... the widest wheel that came on them from the factory was 5-1/2" on convertibles. The widest wheel that will fit with no skirt alterations is about 6". I was able to put 16"x7" billet wheels (with a 3-1/2" back spacing) on mine by modifying the lower edge of the skirt, about 2/3 the way back, where the tire "bulge" is most prominent. I cut a rectangular section out of the skirt here, then welded in a sheet metal bulge to accomodate the tire. Another modification is that you need to fashion longer wheel lug bolts to secure the thicker rim cross section. I made these out of drag racing replacement lug studs (for a Ford), chucking them up in a lathe and cutting them to length. Next, thread a new lug nut on each stud (backwards) until it bottoms on the stud head. You now have a slightly longer lug bolt. The studs can be ordered through Jeg's or Summit. The new lug nuts can be purchased at NAPA. Steelies and caps can look great and would be much easier, but if you want aluminum wheels on your Hud tub, this is one way to do it. I've run this combo for 5 years now, with no rubbing or loosening despite having the car fully loaded with friends and gear.

Great information on the aluminum wheels! Now If I could get them to make me a 6" carbon/mag wheel - that would be sweet!
This discussion has been closed.