Smooth Rear Bumper

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I am not crazy about the three piece rear bumper on my 52 Hornet, and am thinking about a "smooth" one piece bumper. Will a one piece from other stepdowns bolt on? Any other ideas, cars, etc. ?

Terry

Comments

• All Stepdowns bumper are of a three piece design. From 48 to 54 they consist of two end caps and a center section. 48 to 50 have a smooth center section and 51 to 54 have a notched center section. The outer bumper guards hide the joints on all model years.
  • Thanks Fred. The center piece is actually what I don't like. My center piece is notched. (Of course you have probably figured that out already.) Do you know if the centers will interchange with the end caps?

Thanks again, Terry
  • 52 kahuna wrote:
    I am not crazy about the three piece rear bumper on my 52 Hornet, and am thinking about a "smooth" one piece bumper. Will a one piece from other stepdowns bolt on? Any other ideas, cars, etc. ?
    Terry

Terry, I was looking into this as well and thought I had seen the possibility of using a '49 (I think) Plymouth bumper. I started looking on eBay for late 40's and '50's bumpers and cars to get a look at different styles. At first I wanted a totally smooth bumper, but even the waved style of the Plymouth (I hope I'm remembering his correctly) looked good. They may have to be shortened or adjusted to fit the Hud body, but thats not a big deal. And weld the bolts on the inside for a clean look. I do like the way my '50 bumper hugs the body line though, maybe I will just weld mine into one piece. Maybe you could look at using a '49 or '50 bumper and welding it solid.

Post or email me some pics of your ride when you can, sounds cool. Wish mine was ready. Maybe next month the donor shell/frame will go into the "dip." My recent vacation overseas has drained the pocketbook!

Jay
  • 52 kahuna wrote:
    Thanks Fred. The center piece is actually what I don't like. My center piece is notched. (Of course you have probably figured that out already.) Do you know if the centers will interchange with the end caps?

Thanks again, Terry
    Terry, The center sections will interchange weather or not you have to figure out a new place for the license tag is another story. The 48-50 long wheelbase center sections are all the same . The 50-51 center sections for the Pacemaker will work ,only they have a "rib" going down the middle of the section. good Luck with your quest
  • nick s
    nick s Senior Contributor
    Hudzilla wrote:
    Terry, The center sections will interchange weather or not you have to figure out a new place for the license tag is another story. The 48-50 long wheelbase center sections are all the same . The 50-51 center sections for the Pacemaker will work ,only they have a "rib" going down the middle of the section. good Luck with your quest

50 LWB uses the same center as 51-54 i.e. with the step. (with the plate moved below, the license lamp in the handle is blocked on an origonal 50 cast handle for the LWB and has a removable cover in the replacement handles i.e. fits 48-50.) If the rib is a concern, ask first as the reinfrorcing rib may or may not be present on a bumper from a 48-9 or pacemaker especially if it had been replaced at some time. I don't think the pacemakers had it initially either.
  • arionrjw wrote:
    Jay, are you talking about the ribbed bumpers? If you are look at Brizbumpers.com. They can make the ribbed bumpers for your car if you give them the specs.

They sort of look like that, but I'm not sure I want to go that route yet. I would have to fill in down at the bottom rear fender and around the trunk where the bumper fits into that slot. I like how thats fit into the body with the original bumper. I just need to figure out if that can be welded and still fit in the slot good. Can't see why not, but I'm not at that point yet in the body work. Maybe I should find a way to weld the bumper to the body and paint it with the body as if it was one unit. But I kind of like a little chrome on the car. Just not down the sides!

Jay
This discussion has been closed.