HydraMatic compatablility with Cadillac

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Can a 1953 Cadillac Hydramatic be installed Directly into a 1954 Hornet without modifying the Caddy transmission?

Comments

• our '51 has a '53 Olds engine and hydra-matic swapped into it.the guy we got it from installed it back in '55,so it should work-george :D
  • George,

That Olds engine swap sounds interesting. Does it look complicated? I wonder how a 53 Cadillac engine would work in my '54 Hornet. The Cadillac is wrecked, but the engine and HydraMatic are fine.
  • 1, you will have to change to hudson bellhousing, which will reqire you remove torus and bowl parts of torque converter. 2, you will have to measure bowl diameter as some cads had a larger size than Hudson. Unless you have the proper tools to do this you may need to take units to trans shop to have this done. You must use all parts torus and bowl,washer and clips, in other words use all Hudson parts to get cad trans to work. You will also need to check output shaft splines/yoke to see if cad & Hudson are the same and use simular u-joint. Hudsonly Lou Cote
  • i'm not sure,but i think the tailshaft is longer on the cadillac trans. :confused:
  • I took a hydra-matic from a 53 Hudson and installed it into a 53 Pontiac. All I had to do was change the fluid coupling and the bell housing. The output flange was the same. Worked fine
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    When putting a Caddy of that vintage in a stepdown Hudson, note that an Olds bell housing bolts up to the Caddy engine and has rear mount holes almost exactly same as the Hydramatic Hudsons. Top two rear mount holes match up to the Hudson mounts, and only a little elongating of the lower two holes in the Hudson mounts is necessary. Saves having to engineer some new mounting method at the rear. (Yes, purist brothers, Park has done such things in the old days! LOL.)
This discussion has been closed.