Hornet Engines From Uncommon Engineering

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I had sent an e-mail inquiry to Uncommon Engineering and got this response. They have some really neat set ups, check out their website for pics!

Good Morning,

These Hudsons can be constructed to make some good power, the 9X made well over 300 BHP @ 5,000 RPM, and that was only at 40 inches of mercury (barely 5 psi boost). And that's on pump gas! A slightly larger supercharger, like a 4-71, makes an average of 10 psi boost, with each pound of boost equal to about 20 HP, the engine platform will support 400 BHP in road racing trim (long endurance), a pretty stout performance from a flathead inline 6. However, this level of performance did not come inexpensively, about the cost of a first-rate Nextel Cup (Nascar) engine.

8X was designed for nitro fuel application, as such dyno work is not practical, it's quite possible the 8X style package can be brought up to over 625 BHP for drag race application.

7X+ package is normally aspirated, makes between 190-220 BHP depending on final displacment, CR, carbs / intake, and headers. I have constructed 4 / WA-1 one barrel (Twin-H squared) progressive linkage setups, 3 / 2 bbl setups (tri-power), and all sorts of supercharger intakes and logs. I have built these 308 Hornet engines to 360 cubic inches with forged pistons and stroker cranks! The secret of the 7X+ performance is my totally revamped valvetrain, I use all special parts, reground cams, new oversized tappets, giant valve springs, steel retainers, machined keepers, Cloyes Tru-Roller timing chains and sprockets, and custom made Manley Hi-Flo stainless steel valves on specially installed hard seats, for extended trouble-free unleaded fuel usage.

I also offer electronic ignition conversions, in three grades of complexity, performance, and price, as well as NEW digital fuel injection (DFI) packages. Gen-Alts are also available (exclusive), as well as custom built headers in mild or stainless steel (only) as a part of engine overhaul or exchange packages.

My latest engine is a 4-71 supercharged 7X+, with a complete sheetmetal shroud for the blower (to look like a factory installation). Fabricated steel ducting will carry the pressurized intake air to a Twin-H intake. Supercharger and ducting will all be painted dark red urethane (same as Hudson air cleaners), and special decals applied to mimic a pure factory installation. I was trying to have it completed for the HET National meet, but waiting on special alum-bronze valve guides precludes that.

The NEW street supercharged 7X+ as described is intended to produce around 300 BHP @ 10 psi from the 4-71 blower, in the same area as my Ford Flathead V-8's. I expect this engine package to become very popular with discriminating Hudson owners who want something more exotic than a typical carburated 7X . Hope to have some pics on my website within a month or so.

Call me if you wish to discuss any of these engine packages, 317-709-1380
Steve
This discussion has been closed.